Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iboardbot Server?
07-02-2016, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 04:26 AM by bluegecko.)
iboardbot Server?
Hi Pedro,

First of all i would like to congrat you Guys for the iboardbot. it works really Nicely and is lots of fun. I have a question though.
is there a chance that you release the server software and how to set it up any time soon? because currently I can never be sure that my messages (e.g. my weather forecast from ifttt) will be printed and often there is quite a delay as well. I have my own raspberry Pi that sends messages based on cron jobs but I can never be sure that the message is actually drawn. it is drawn around 90% of time but not always.

also in terms of development I am sure you would get a boost of ideas what to do with the iboardbot. e.g. it would be possible to implement online games on one and two iboardbots (e.g. chess moves, battle ship, tic tac toe) I am sure there are many more possibilities. but the development is probably hindered by not having full access to the server. e.g. I was thinking instead of having a weather report, I could show the rain radar by grabbing the pictures converting them to svg using imaging software (opencv) and then plotting a weather map or so. if i am not mistaken we cannot send svg files to the iboardbot currently. also a feedback that the image was actually plotted would be really good. so is there a plan to release the server software and documentation soon?

thanks again,
bernd
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: iboardbot Server?
Hi bernd/bluegecko!
Thanks for your words and your comments. We are glad you are enjoying the iBoardbot ;-)

API+protocol: Actually, every task you are listing can be achieved via iboardbot´s API and IBB protocol (forecast, tic tac toe, chess...): https://github.com/jjrobots/iBoardbot/bl..._APIv1.odt
https://github.com/jjrobots/iBoardbot/bl...otocol.odt

DELAY: yes, sometimes there is small delay. It is due to the IFTTT´s MAKER channel way to handle the data. There is no way (currently) to solve it unless you are sending what you want to draw directly to your iBoardbot via ...Raspberry?

Keep in mind that the server only gets the incoming data sent from any device (actually that data are a bunch of lines to be drawn) and sends that data to the iboardbot in real time. It is transparent and send everything with no delays and in a very "robust" way (checking all the time the data got the destination) so you can even get through proxies.

You can draw a single line or draw any image using the iBoardbot protocol like, for example, the cool ViezeVingertjes´s real time clock does: http://jjrobots.com/forum/thread-846.html

About the " feedback that the image was actually plotted ": give us some time, we are thinking on creating a "refresh button" which allows you to see on your screen what is currently drawn on the board.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Hi,
thanks for the links, but if I am not mistaken the document does not describe all the functions available. for example the pPath function is not mentioned there.
also do you have documented the pImage and pSVG functions somewhere?
and can I somehow use a non uploaded svg file to be drawn?

by the way even directly send requests via the web interface do take up to 3 minutes to be drawn. maybe this is due to "distance" to Australia and some delay so it is not only a problem of ifttt. finally you did not answer my question about the server software. is there any chance to install it locally on a webserver (e.g. Pi)?

again this is mainly for developing as it is quite inconvenient if I have to wait for a minute or two until my test line is drawn?

a very last question. if I am not mistaken my iboardbot does send a request every xx seconds (8??) to your server to check if something new has arrived. how often does the iboardbot send such a request and how much data/bandwidth per day does this equate?
again a local webserver would avoid such bandwidth costs ( admittedly they are most likely negligible, but if the Internet drops out, again my iboardbot does not receive anything and maybe this is also a reason for the experienced delay as the network here is not very stable.

thanks for your time,

bluegecko

(07-04-2016 03:59 PM)jpedroc Wrote:  Hi bernd/bluegecko!
Thanks for your words and your comments. We are glad you are enjoying the iBoardbot ;-)

API+protocol: Actually, every task you are listing can be achieved via iboardbot´s API and IBB protocol (forecast, tic tac toe, chess...): https://github.com/jjrobots/iBoardbot/bl..._APIv1.odt
https://github.com/jjrobots/iBoardbot/bl...otocol.odt

DELAY: yes, sometimes there is small delay. It is due to the IFTTT´s MAKER channel way to handle the data. There is no way (currently) to solve it unless you are sending what you want to draw directly to your iBoardbot via ...Raspberry?

Keep in mind that the server only gets the incoming data sent from any device (actually that data are a bunch of lines to be drawn) and sends that data to the iboardbot in real time. It is transparent and send everything with no delays and in a very "robust" way (checking all the time the data got the destination) so you can even get through proxies.

You can draw a single line or draw any image using the iBoardbot protocol like, for example, the cool ViezeVingertjes´s real time clock does: http://jjrobots.com/forum/thread-846.html

About the " feedback that the image was actually plotted ": give us some time, we are thinking on creating a "refresh button" which allows you to see on your screen what is currently drawn on the board.
07-16-2016, 10:26 PM
Hi bernd! thanks for your words.
It's true that actually is not posible to draw vectors with the API, we plan to extend the actual API with more functions to draw simple primitives or maybe more complex vectors like svgs
With respect to the server code we plan to release a core version (reduced version) without the users/registration/administration parts... so the code could be easily installed on a web server without the need to use an external database. The actual server code is developed on PHP. We need some time to prepare this standalone simple server version, we are working also in other projects so probably we need at least one month for the release of the code...

thanks,
Jose. jjrobots.
07-16-2016, 10:36 PM
and the answer to the last question,
the iboardbot uses a method that is called "long polling".
the board poll the server for tasks. if there are task, the server sends it inmediatly. if not the server leave the connection open for 20 seconds, then close. This way there are virtually no delay (actually 1or 2 seconds) because the connection is open all the time.
So, a delay of minutes? something is wrong, maybe your connection is bad quality? If there are errors on the connection the board trys to reset and restart the connections again and this process is more slowly...

Jose
07-17-2016, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 02:44 AM by bluegecko.)
Hi Jose,

thanks for the quick reply. and I am happy to wait a bit. one final question.
I played a bit with the pPath.php function and I think I figured how it works. is there anything from your side why I should not use it for my ideas (e.g. create a python script that converts an svg to a pPath expression and send it to your server?)

cheers, Bernd

okay I understand so it probably must be my internet connection, because true either it is pretty instantaneous or a minute or two. so need to talk to my provider anyway.

cheers, bluegecko

(07-16-2016 10:36 PM)JoseJulio Wrote:  and the answer to the last question,
the iboardbot uses a method that is called "long polling".
the board poll the server for tasks. if there are task, the server sends it inmediatly. if not the server leave the connection open for 20 seconds, then close. This way there are virtually no delay (actually 1or 2 seconds) because the connection is open all the time.
So, a delay of minutes? something is wrong, maybe your connection is bad quality? If there are errors on the connection the board trys to reset and restart the connections again and this process is more slowly...

Jose
10-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi Jose,

any updates regarding the server?

cheers, Bernd

(07-16-2016 10:26 PM)JoseJulio Wrote:  Hi bernd! thanks for your words.
It's true that actually is not posible to draw vectors with the API, we plan to extend the actual API with more functions to draw simple primitives or maybe more complex vectors like svgs
With respect to the server code we plan to release a core version (reduced version) without the users/registration/administration parts... so the code could be easily installed on a web server without the need to use an external database. The actual server code is developed on PHP. We need some time to prepare this standalone simple server version, we are working also in other projects so probably we need at least one month for the release of the code...

thanks,
Jose. jjrobots.
12-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Hi,
Are there any updates about the standalone server ?
I'm willing to buy this product if I can use it on my personnal server.

Thanks
X
01-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Hi,

A vote from me on releasing the PHP server code!
Seems like a logic choice since the project is build on a opensource mindset.

best,

Torben.
04-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Hi

Please do let us know when you will be releasing the php server code

-D