Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Constructive comments
06-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Constructive comments
The mounting bracket for the X-Stepper: It is very easy to strip the threads in the stepper body; I had to use Locktite to hold the screws, I expect they will work themselves loose due to the vibration of the stepper.

The X-Axis idler 3D printed plastic pulley: The bearing fit very loosely, and the captured nut socket was so loose that the locknut didn't hold and spun in the socket. I wedged a piece of plastic in with the nut to hold it while I tightened it up.

The Arduino board mounts: If you mount the Arduino as illustrated, the board sits directly on the clear plastic base. This places the USB connector such that you cannot connect a USB cable when the board assembly is mounted to the left foot.

All in all the assembly was straightforward; I love the design of the belt anchors, they work perfectly. Unfortunately, my board is not working at all and I needed to disassemble the Arduino module to allow me to connect the USB cable and re-program it. That has not solved the problem of a blinking yellow light.

I see in the code there is a #define DEBUG 0 statement commented out. I would like to use the serial port to see the debug messages to determine where the system is in the initialization. If I set the DEBUG parameter to 2 and plug the USB and power cable in will I be able to see the debug messages in the serial monitor on the IDE?

Thanks for an intriguing kit, I look forward to seeing it work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2016, 09:26 AM
RE: Constructive comments
Hi! Thank you for your comments :-)
Some questions:
Did you strip the threads of the 6mm bolts? Could you send us a photo of the nut socket+bearing please?
Yes, the USB connector can not be reached easily after assembling the electronic case. We will take a look to that.

Regarding your issue:
Can you see the iboardbot WIFI signal after connecting the power supply to the Leonardo? If not, could you send us the code you will find on the back side of the Brain Shield please?
Yes, you should see the debug messages activating the DEBUG MODE. Just connecting the USB if enough to check the Arduino starting up sequence.
Keep us updated please
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2016, 12:38 PM
(06-13-2016 09:26 AM)jpedroc Wrote:  Hi! Thank you for your comments :-)
Some questions:
Did you strip the threads of the 6mm bolts? Could you send us a photo of the nut socket+bearing please?
Yes, the USB connector can not be reached easily after assembling the electronic case. We will take a look to that.

Regarding your issue:
Can you see the iboardbot WIFI signal after connecting the power supply to the Leonardo? If not, could you send us the code you will find on the back side of the Brain Shield please?
Yes, you should see the debug messages activating the DEBUG MODE. Just connecting the USB if enough to check the Arduino starting up sequence.
Keep us updated please
  • No, the threads in the stepper motor stripped.
  • I was careful not to torque the stepper motor attachment screw too much. The threads on the screw are ok.
  • Initially I saw the iBoardBot and could connect to my iPhone 6. The yellow LED did not stop blinking.
  • After I re-loaded the board from the IDE I can see the iBoardBot, and it asks for a password but it does not connect.
  • I have been able to successfully program the Arduino
  • I enabled the DEBUG environment variable with the value of 2 but cannot see any serial traffic on the serial monitor using a single USB cable.
Please advise.
06-13-2016, 02:16 PM
(06-13-2016 12:38 PM)dk-info Wrote:  
Some questions:

Regarding your issue:
Keep us updated please
  • No, the threads in the stepper motor stripped.
  • I was careful not to torque the stepper motor attachment screw too much. The threads on the screw are ok.
  • Initially I saw the iBoardBot and could connect to my iPhone 6. The yellow LED did not stop blinking.
  • After I re-loaded the board from the IDE I can see the iBoardBot, and it asks for a password but it does not connect.
  • I have been able to successfully program the Arduino
  • I enabled the DEBUG environment variable with the value of 2 but cannot see any serial traffic on the serial monitor using a single USB cable.
Please advise.

Send us an email to info@jjrobots.com with the serial code of the Brain Shield (you will find it on the back side of the PCB)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Brick RE: Constructive comments
Hi! Thank you for your comments :-)
Some questions:

No, Actually I discovered the screws were too short to go through the X- Axis stepper motor bracket and have enough to hold. I checked the threads in the stepper and they are OK. I will try 8mm long screws to get over the slightly thick bracket (see attached picture)

Attached File(s)
.pdf  IMG_0985.pdf (Size: 223.96 KB / Downloads: 1)
06-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Some questions:

Regarding your issue:
Keep us updated please

I would like to update my comments:
  • The WiFi connection problem was "operator error", I misspelled both the SSID and password! The WiFi connection is now working correctly.
  • The threaded holes in the stepper motor were not stripped; the thickness of the bracket was uneven, and the 5mm screws provided a bit too short. I replaced the 5mm screws with 8mm screws, and it worked perfectly. (see attached photo)
  • Comment: Change the picture for the servo connection to the brain board to reflect the colour of the servo extension cables. The brown of the attached servo cable is the black on the servo extension cable.
  • Comment: The X-Axis idler pulley design needs work, the bearing pocket is too big(the pulley wobbles), and the hex pocket for the Nylock nut is also too big, allowing it to spin. (see attached video: Captured Nut Turning)
  • TIP: In the version 1.07 source code I uncommented the DEBUG declaration and used the "DEBUG = 2" definition. After recompiling and downloading, I could clearly see that the SSID was wrong looking at the serial output using the Arduino IDE's serial monitor. My initial error was that the serial monitor setting is 9600 Baud by default. The Leonardo board serial interface is configured for 115200 Baud. Once I changed the IDE's serial monitor settings to 115200 Baud I got the debug output I needed to see the problem.
  • TIP: In the construction process, when the servo extension cable is added, put a small piece of tape on the end of the extension to the eraser servo. That way it will be easier to determine which servo connector goes to which connector on the brain board.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  images.pdf (Size: 198.96 KB / Downloads: 9)