Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brobot stepper motor issue
11-18-2017, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 11:06 PM by linkspyder.)
Brobot stepper motor issue
Hi,

Just got recently the brain shield from jjrobots. after finishing the built I'm facing an issue with brobot:

only one stepper motor works;

I've looked into the forum but did not found someone with this problem. every thing works, the imu calibration, the touchOSC connection, servo movement, the robot despite only one wheel working, it can balance. first thing I did was to check the connections; after that I've changed the stepper drivers, but all with the same result, still only one wheel spining. I'm powering the robot with a 11.1v lipo so enough power I guess...

If I change the cable from the motor that doesnt work to the pins on the brain shield where it was the working motor, this one now works, so it cant be the motor.

I've included a picture with the imu in place, that I believe is the correct position-

I'm guessing now that the problem must be the leonardo(using the last version of the code) or even the brain shield.

Thanks for any help

[Image: PM7TKlu.jpg?1]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2017, 05:58 PM
RE: Brobot stepper motor issue
Hi!
Check the Brain Shield is fully inserted into the Arduino Leonardo and check the motor´s cable. A broken stepper motor is very very unusual BUT could be the problem...
Have you tried to swap the stepper motors drivers? motor1 to motor2?
11-19-2017, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 07:45 PM by linkspyder.)
(11-19-2017 05:58 PM)JohnQ Wrote:  Hi!
Check the Brain Shield is fully inserted into the Arduino Leonardo and check the motor´s cable. A broken stepper motor is very very unusual BUT could be the problem...
Have you tried to swap the stepper motors drivers? motor1 to motor2?

Hi; thanks for the reply;

I've checked and rechecked, brain shield is fully inserted; both motors are working(tried both on brain shield pin motor1). the moment I connect to pin motor2 on the brain shield the motor gets stucked and I get no movement at all. I've also tried 4 diferent motor drivers, cable order color code are also correct, so I'm suspecting that can be something with the motor2 pin on the brain shield; unfortunately haven't got another leonardo to test...thanks
11-20-2017, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2017 11:11 AM by JJrobots JP.)
Is there a way you can check with a multi-meter the continuity of the motor pins and stepper motor drivers headers? It is extremely unlike the soldering machine missed a pin but that could be the source of the problem. I would blame the Arduino Leonardo, the Brain shields are fully tested but... maybe the back face of the Leonardo got damaged or the headers are loose? Can you upload a photo of the motors connectors and stepper motor drivers headers of the Brain shield?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2017, 08:50 PM
(11-20-2017 11:08 AM)jpedroc Wrote:  Is there a way you can check with a multi-meter the continuity of the motor pins and stepper motor drivers headers? It is extremely unlike the soldering machine missed a pin but that could be the source of the problem. I would blame the Arduino Leonardo, the Brain shields are fully tested but... maybe the back face of the Leonardo got damaged or the headers are loose? Can you upload a photo of the motors connectors and stepper motor drivers headers of the Brain shield?

Hello; thanks for the repply; finally got the chance to use a friend's multimeter and have tested the continuity of the motor pins and stepper motor drivers; first let me say I'm a rookie on electronics, but looking to the second picture posted here I got continuity from the motor pins on the brain shield (counting from bottom 1,2,3,4) to the motor drivers left pins (4,5,6,7); this is valid for both motor pins and motor drivers; also tested continuity from leonardo to the brain and also seems to be ok.
Going to test on another leonardo just to be sure.

I've uploaded a small video with the robot in "action", still on one wheel only as the other seems to be locked: https://youtu.be/pSbTx3VIgUc

thanks

[Image: epkx3eB.jpg?1]

[Image: EL2txFu.jpg?1]

[Image: z8aaINH.jpg?3]
11-21-2017, 10:17 AM
The video helps. Thanks for uploading it.
Yes, the robot tries to keep the balance even with only one wheel working. Looking at the photos I can not see any bad soldered pins and as you checked, there is continuity. So, the only thing (discarding the motors) that can be the problem here is the Leonardo. Please keep us updated with the new Leonardo board test.

By the way: cool wheels! Where did you get them? :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2017, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 08:49 PM by linkspyder.)
(11-21-2017 10:17 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  The video helps. Thanks for uploading it.
Yes, the robot tries to keep the balance even with only one wheel working. Looking at the photos I can not see any bad soldered pins and as you checked, there is continuity. So, the only thing (discarding the motors) that can be the problem here is the Leonardo. Please keep us updated with the new Leonardo board test.

By the way: cool wheels! Where did you get them? :-)

Hi. Just to give you a feedback...the problem was really the leonardo, after getting a spair one everything works now...yeah Smile...

the wheels are from 1/10 RC car; you can get them here:

https://www.banggood.com/FY-CL01-Wheel-F...rehouse=CN

thanks and merry christmas to all