Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scalability Question
10-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Scalability Question
Howdy all. I run a student club at a middle school and we have been kicking around the idea of making a full size whiteboard plotter. I have built quite a few different drawing machines and I am really acting as more of a guide on the students journey. This might be a dumb question or may have already come up before but:

If we were to use the iBoardbot hardware and retrofit it to a much larger board how difficult would it be to change the code on the controller to scale text and drawings appropriately to continue to use the stock software workflow?

Without looking at anything my first instincts just tell me to change stepper settings on the controller firmware. Am I way off base? has anyone done this yet? I guess you could always change gear ratios since you basically have to design a lot of new hardware anyway. Just thinking out loud...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2017, 03:12 PM
RE: Scalability Question
It is possible, but you will need more powerful motors and sturdy structure to keep the precision when drawing. To change the code is straightforward, just modify the dimensions and drawing parameters (speed, accelerations...)
So, in short, it is doable ;-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply