Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ESP32 Port of B-Robot_EVO2 Code
10-14-2017, 12:09 AM
ESP32 Port of B-Robot_EVO2 Code
Dear all,

Just in case anybody considers this useful, here you can find my quick&ugly port of the EVO2 code for just a single ESP32 (instead of Arduino + ESP8266 + Brain; Gyro and stepper motor drivers are needed stil of course):
https://github.com/ghmartin77/B-ROBOT_EVO2_ESP32

Have fun!

@JJRobots: Thank you so much for sharing this great project. Had tons of fun rebuilding it Smile

Best regards,
Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2017, 04:55 PM
RE: ESP32 Port of B-Robot_EVO2 Code
(10-14-2017 12:09 AM)ghmartin77 Wrote:  Dear all,

Just in case anybody considers this useful, here you can find my quick&ugly port of the EVO2 code for just a single ESP32 (instead of Arduino + ESP8266 + Brain; Gyro and stepper motor drivers are needed stil of course):
https://github.com/ghmartin77/B-ROBOT_EVO2_ESP32

Have fun!

@JJRobots: Thank you so much for sharing this great project. Had tons of fun rebuilding it Smile

Best regards,
Martin

The *.ino file is the original?
11-07-2017, 09:19 PM
No, there's no *.ino file. This is just plain C/C++ code because I usually use Eclipse for development. However if you want to compile it in Arduino IDE, download the complete zip file from Github, extract it into a folder of your choice. Afterwards rename ESP32BalancingBot.cpp to ESP32BalancingBot.ino and the folder you have extraxted everything into to ESP32BalancingBot. Then open the ino file in Arduino IDE.

BR,
Martin
11-08-2017, 11:19 AM
If you want to compile the sketch with the Arduino IDE you have to install the core for the ESP32.
Here are the instructors to install the ESP32 core in the IDE --> https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp...structions
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Thanks for reply, I'll try it. My arduino ide is ok for progamming a Nodemcu.Smile
11-22-2017, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 05:10 PM by PaoloP.)
The standard NodeMCU use ESP8266 not ESP32.
You need to install core for ESP32.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2017, 09:35 PM
I plan to build several of these ESP32 robots with a teenager group. For this reason I rather look for some low cost components.

@Martin: I saw your wheels. They look like they are made from wood!? Does they have enough grip? Or did you somekind of a trick to avoid wheelies?
Any other sugestion for a low cost wheel are appreciated as well.

cu
neunmann
12-07-2017, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2017 07:12 AM by ghmartin77.)
(12-06-2017 09:35 PM)neunmann Wrote:  I plan to build several of these ESP32 robots with a teenager group. For this reason I rather look for some low cost components.

@Martin: I saw your wheels. They look like they are made from wood!? Does they have enough grip? Or did you somekind of a trick to avoid wheelies?
Any other sugestion for a low cost wheel are appreciated as well.

cu
neunmann

Yes, it's wood. But it's slippery and for sure does not have enough grip. Some duct tape around does the trick, however. Furthermore they're quite loud which might be due to the fact that they've been cut by hand and aren't perfectly round. Nowadays I go for the 3D printed version. They're much better but also suffer from the no grip issue. But that could be fixed easily by some balloons cut in slices and attached with a bit of glue.

Please note, I did not port the Blockly stuff for ESP32 If this is something you'd need, you have to put some effort into the code... All other stuff's working fine (e.g. control the bot with the remote app). If you're going to use the bots in a group you should tweak the WiFi ID in ESP32SelfbalancingBot.cpp, line 25. This has to be unique for each bot. I think the original code throws in parts of the MAC address of the ESP32...

Depending on the ESP32 board you're going to use you might skip the power regulator and feed in 9v directly into the board to save a few extra bucks. For the stand-up servo (not in the Github pictures), you can add a cable to the battery box after 4 batteries so you get ~6V.

Best regards,
ghmartin77
12-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Thanks Martin, the idea with the ballons sounds pretty simple and sufficiant. Could be changed easily and are always available. I will try this.

With your hint of the wheel noise I will try to print them on my Anet A6. Should be okay I hope.

Thanks even for the hint with the WiFi ID and even to feed power directly to the ESP32 board. Servo is a must but the other things I will skip for the beginning.

Now I wait to receive the ordered parts...

cu,
neunmann