Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vision system problems
07-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Vision system problems
I'm having problems getting the smartphone app to detect the robot. It sees the puck and traces it's movement, but doesn't see the robot. I have tried different colors for the felt, and additional lighting, but with no luck. I noticed that in the videos and instructions, the robot is made of red plastic, whereas mine is black. There's not much contrast between the black of the robot and the blue of the felt, so I also tried putting a piece of white cardboard in between so that the blue felt would stand out, but no luck. And yes, I have calibrated the color several times.

Any thoughts?

-Stephan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2017, 05:47 PM
RE: Vision system problems
Hi Stephan,
Could be the size of the foam circle. The smartphone will consider two features: color and diameter, in order to detect the puck and robot foam. Actually, the smartphone uses the AREA of the foam (no matter the shape) so you can try to block with a finger a piece of blue foam is see is the smartphone eventually detects it.

We have opted for blue and green because they are quite saturated colours and easy to detect among others. Red/Black/Yellow and White plastic colours are quite away from the parameters which define the robot and puck, so donĀ“t we worried if you robot is red.
Keep us updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-30-2017, 06:03 PM
So, it's looking for a shape with and area of 314 mm? Could I substitute a 17.6 x 17.6mm square?
07-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Yes, you can. The APP just consider the area not the shape :-)
08-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Hi, me again,

I'm afraid I'm having no luck getting the app to recognize the robot. I've tried different colors, square, circle, precise measurements, but to no avail. In some cases I'll see brief flashes of recognition, but no permanence. Meanwhile, the puck is always recognized, consistently, in any light, etc.

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

-Stephan
08-04-2017, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 07:30 PM by jpedroc.)
Just for narrowing down the problem: Have you tried to use another camera/smartphone?
Is the APP detecting any other "feature" by the borders of the captured image? (by the borders, a reflection on the metal bars/pipes which hold the H-bridge frame)
If the camera adds noise to the captured image that could explain the sudden and temporary recognition... but if the environment light is good enough this should not happen
Please let us know how everything goes with another smartphone
08-08-2017, 01:07 AM
I tried another phone and had the same result. As for detecting other features, no, it's very clean in terms of always seeing the puck and nothing else extraneous.
08-11-2017, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 04:30 PM by jpedroc.)
We have run out of ideas. This is the first case we find with this kind of issue. We have attached to this message the new version of the Air hockey Robot APP. Give it a try just in case it solves the problem

Attached File(s)
.apk  app-armv7-release (1).apk (Size: 7.35 MB / Downloads: 7)
08-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Same thing with the new version. I guess I should confirm that I should be seeing the robot highlighted the same way the puck is, that is, the puck shows a green dot on it and when the puck moves the path is traced. I should see the same thing on the robot correct? And I should see this regardless of whether or not the arduino is up and running?
08-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Is the code for the android app available somewhere? It looks like the Vision System code in the Github repository is for a PC, and it looks like there are some differences between how this is coded and how you describe this working with the android app.