Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Robot Does Nothing
05-18-2017, 12:00 AM
New Robot Does Nothing
I got my robot assembled. When I turn it on, the arm moves a few degrees, and that's all I get.

I'm trying to find info on how to debug it and so on. Can someone give me some clues to get me started? I've written a few Arduino sketches, but I am not a robotics or programming expert.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2017, 05:01 PM
RE: New Robot Does Nothing
Hello? Anyone there?

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
05-19-2017, 11:03 AM
(05-18-2017 12:00 AM)Droidurlookingfor Wrote:  I got my robot assembled. When I turn it on, the arm moves a few degrees, and that's all I get.

I'm trying to find info on how to debug it and so on. Can someone give me some clues to get me started? I've written a few Arduino sketches, but I am not a robotics or programming expert.

Take a look to the very end of this webpage: http://www.jjrobots.com/b-robot-evo-kit-...tructions/
the debbug options are explained there

Could you upload photos of your setup? looks like the motors are now getting any command (stepper motor drivers problem, cables...?)
05-19-2017, 02:32 PM
(05-19-2017 11:03 AM)JohnQ Wrote:  Take a look to the very end of this webpage: http://www.jjrobots.com/b-robot-evo-kit-...tructions/
the debbug options are explained there

Could you upload photos of your setup? looks like the motors are now getting any command (stepper motor drivers problem, cables...?)

Thanks for the help. I was getting worried.

I saw the stuff about debugging, but I have no idea where that code is or how to get it into the Leonardo. I have the library folders from Github. I opened some files up, but I didn't see what I needed.

I can try to take some photos, but I made sure I installed the cables correctly.

It's a real pain hooking the bot up to the computer. I would humbly suggest the sellers make a hole in the side plate large enough for a USB cable to pass through. Right now, I have to take the whole robot apart to connect it. I'm thinking I'll just cut the robot to provide access.

They also need to change the arm so it fits the servo horn. I had to grind the horn down about 1/8". Also, the screw that attaches it is too short.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
05-20-2017, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 05:08 PM by Droidurlookingfor.)
I'm trying to get this thing going on my own. I decided to make sure the code had been uploaded to the Leonardo. I opened BROBOT_EVO2 and tried to upload it. Arduino refuses to upload it, saying "'Serial1' was not declared in this scope." Now I am stuck.

What progress I have made. I found out the Arduino window I was using had the wrong board specified. I changed it and uploaded the EVO 2 sketch. Now the robot makes a howling sound, and one wheel turns slowly while the robot lies on its face. I guess the plug and play robot I bought wasn't actually plug and play. Someone may have failed to program it.

Not sure why it lies on its face and howls. I may try uploading the original software.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
05-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Check you have selected the correct board (Arduino Leonardo) in the Arduino IDE "tools" menu. Oh, I just saw your second message...

Check two things:
1) The batteries are ok (use new ones)
2) the stepper motor drivers are delivering all the current they can. Take a look to this image: http://www.jjrobots.com/wp-content/uploa...sment1.jpg Try adjusting the output power rotating the screw (but first check the motors are properly connected and the same for the stepper motor drivers!: check the headers)