Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[FIXED] small pause between drawing
05-21-2016, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2016 08:53 AM by JJrobots JP.)
[FIXED] small pause between drawing
I've got small pauses between drawing, e.g. if I draw text it pauses for 2 seconds after 4 letters. Is there a way to get rid of this pause and get it like one smooth drawing again?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2016, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2016 06:26 AM by Sander.)
RE: small pause between drawing
Today I tested it again but the delays are getting bigger, around 15-17 seconds now.
Everytime after character 4 it delays,so a sentence with 23 letters takes now 02:01...and that is measured.
Please advice
05-22-2016, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2016 10:06 AM by ViezeVingertjes.)
Looking through the code of ibb, it can be 3 things.

1. Delay in the response of the server, when retrieving the next packet. (next part to draw, it's divided in parts because of the limited amount RAM the Arduino Leonardo has)
2. Wait command in the packet, which can pause the script for a variable amount of time, but with the maximum of 30 seconds.
3. Error in the packet, in this case it will 'sleep' for 10 seconds.

I think it's 1 or the combination of 1 & 2.
Option 3 should not really happen, although, nothing is impossible.

And with the information it's getting bigger, i suspect it's the server's capacity.
Most people probably have the ibb assembled by now, and are most likely fire'ing away requests and drawing tasks at the server.
Yet this can only be confirmed by the developers.

[fun fact]
I made a simple ibb emulator yesterday, but i can't get packets from the server of jjrobots, as they have some kind of detection build-in.
The server sends a 'h@ck' drawing back, if you try it anyway. Tongue
05-22-2016, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2016 10:34 AM by Sander.)
I think also a server delay, is that because the more iBoardbots are getting ready the more are requesting packets? (lol you allready answered this because your message was edited later on Wink )

Hope it is solved quickly or that we can install our own server Smile

Is that IBB emulator not working because each IBB ID is unique and registrated? Or did you clone your own ID/IBB

Talking about a server...is possible to run a server on a raspberry (@home) so it only has to deal with my IBB?
05-22-2016, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2016 12:15 PM by ViezeVingertjes.)
I dont know yet, i think they check the user-agent string or whatever.
It's probably not allowed seeing the result, but i succesfully tested it against my own iBoardbot server.

Running a server on a raspberry is very possible, you have to create your own though, as it's not available for now.
But as the protocol is open-source, it's not that hard, only time consuming.

The document can be found here: https://github.com/jjrobots/iBoardbot/bl...t?raw=true
05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Hi!
Beside all that stuff you are talking about creating your own server X-D ( I will try to stay tuned)
I got the same "lag" when I was using a streaming video service at the same time I was using the iboardbot. So, I guess I can blame... my internet connection┬┤s bandwidth? Anyway, that only happened for a moment.
05-22-2016, 07:07 PM
(05-22-2016 05:59 PM)JohnQ Wrote:  Hi!
Beside all that stuff you are talking about creating your own server X-D ( I will try to stay tuned)
I got the same "lag" when I was using a streaming video service at the same time I was using the iboardbot. So, I guess I can blame... my internet connection┬┤s bandwidth? Anyway, that only happened for a moment.

Yeah, iboardbot uses very small packets (768 bytes to be precise), so unless you have some dial-up connection from the 90's, i don't think that's the cause. Big Grin

About the server, i got a small prove of concept running but it might take some time as i only can spend sparetime on it. I'll post it once it's a good alternative to the current one. Cool
05-22-2016, 09:45 PM
Hi Sander,
Check it out now. We have had to adjust parameters in the server as more users as signing up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-23-2016, 05:54 AM
And here is the result of adjusting those parameters:

So the 'lag' is almost gone, still some milliseconds hick ups but I assume that is due to RAM of the board and the small packages that it can handle.
Thanks for this huge improvement (you saw my pause on the video I send you)
05-23-2016, 10:10 AM
We have reduced even a little bit more the "lag". Should be imperceptible now ;-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user