Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My experience with the slider
06-03-2020, 11:12 AM
RE: My experience with the slider
(06-03-2020 09:15 AM)JohnQ Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 11:03 AM)MisterMaker Wrote:  Another update:
https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...4755078145
Slider now runs very smooth no weird jerks caused by the gear.
Only some vibrations at certain speed, these are obviously caused by friction, since the top part hangs on the aluminum profile.
I fixed this in above STL, so if someone print this I wonder how it works. I tried grinding out a layer or 2, put that was not enough.
I have to reprint that part. Just waiting till I got the top part finished because I probably want to modify more on that part.
Printing your MODs! Impressive job. I have the same slider and mine goes butter smooth, but I have to say that I am using my iphone as camera. It looks like for a camera like yours, it is not the same, I have a Nikon D3500 I am going to try with your improvements. Please keep us udpated!
I only encountered the issues when not in an ideal situation, and since I like to make nature timelapses I though I might fix it. Also it is a nice project to do these days... prevent me from going insane in this lockdown.
Make sure the screw of the wheel that is used for tension is not sticking out! For the rest it should fit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Quick update, I reprinted the mounting part to remove the friction, and results where that it was too loose. Sad
Which is bit of a bummer.
06-04-2020, 09:11 PM
(06-04-2020 09:03 PM)MisterMaker Wrote:  Quick update, I reprinted the mounting part to remove the friction, and results where that it was too loose. Sad
Which is bit of a bummer.

The precision when 3D printing is a hit or miss. Even using same filament brand but from a different batch provide different results.
06-16-2020, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2020 09:19 AM by MisterMaker.)
Update:
My latest test: https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...6666777601
Previous testing:
https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...9331120132
Video of my setup:
https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...9359532037
This is my current design:

It is made for a tripod head and the use of a hacked together closed Gt2 belt.
I ordered some real wheels from china, as I think the 3D printed I use are not optimal. Also DRV8825 steppers are going to replaced with TMC 2209. Although the DRV8825 at 32/1 work pretty well.

I still have some kind of wave motion, I hope it is caused by the wheels, but this could also be something else like flex of the profile.

I am not sure when and how I am going to release the files, since I put a lot of work in it, this is not anymore some adjustment but designed from the ground up.

btw one of the most wanted features I now would want for the app, is a way to change the direction...
I might going to try to make a physical button for this, since I can probably do that in the arduino code.
06-16-2020, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2020 09:47 PM by JohnQ.)
(06-16-2020 08:56 AM)MisterMaker Wrote:  Update:
My latest test: https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...6666777601
Previous testing:
https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...9331120132
Video of my setup:
https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...9359532037
This is my current design:

It is made for a tripod head and the use of a hacked together closed Gt2 belt.
I ordered some real wheels from china, as I think the 3D printed I use are not optimal. Also DRV8825 steppers are going to replaced with TMC 2209. Although the DRV8825 at 32/1 work pretty well.

I still have some kind of wave motion, I hope it is caused by the wheels, but this could also be something else like flex of the profile.

I am not sure when and how I am going to release the files, since I put a lot of work in it, this is not anymore some adjustment but designed from the ground up.

btw one of the most wanted features I now would want for the app, is a way to change the direction...
I might going to try to make a physical button for this, since I can probably do that in the arduino code.
Looking GREAT! What are you planning to release the STL files and others? Upload them to github or anything?
06-17-2020, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2020 11:49 PM by Charliebrm.)
Hi MisterMaker. I think you are providing a lot of positive direction to getting these units up to par. Thank you.
I can source an assembled 4 wheel carriage plate locally that will make for a sturdy moving base on a 20x20 extrusion. I will still need to print out a new turntable and gear/belt drive assembly so I will be following this thread, hoping STL files come of it.

I have the original 2 rod design and it's on hold until I can figure out this sturdier retrofit.

A lingering question on gearing if anybody can answer this: How different is the control of travel and rotation if the original board of the 2 rod version is used with any of these upgrades or modifications? i.e. the original has turntable gearing of 10:100 teeth.
06-18-2020, 09:03 AM
(06-17-2020 11:48 PM)Charliebrm Wrote:  Hi MisterMaker. I think you are providing a lot of positive direction to getting these units up to par. Thank you.
I can source an assembled 4 wheel carriage plate locally that will make for a sturdy moving base on a 20x20 extrusion. I will still need to print out a new turntable and gear/belt drive assembly so I will be following this thread, hoping STL files come of it.

I have the original 2 rod design and it's on hold until I can figure out this sturdier retrofit.

A lingering question on gearing if anybody can answer this: How different is the control of travel and rotation if the original board of the 2 rod version is used with any of these upgrades or modifications? i.e. the original has turntable gearing of 10:100 teeth.
My current CAD file has a 16:80 but I can push it bigger, if necessary it is slightly better than the original one. 4>5

I am waiting on my package with the TMC 2209 drivers and the nylon wheels, both are in the country so I hope it is here next or this week.
4 wheels is definitely better! There is a chance that the wubble I see in my footage, is caused by the carriage that is bending due to the strain by the wheels.
So I might beef that up, I have some ideas on this.
06-27-2020, 03:58 AM
(06-18-2020 09:03 AM)MisterMaker Wrote:  
(06-17-2020 11:48 PM)Charliebrm Wrote:  Hi MisterMaker. I think you are providing a lot of positive direction to getting these units up to par. Thank you.

My current CAD file has a 16:80 but I can push it bigger, if necessary it is slightly better than the original one. 4>5

I am waiting on my package with the TMC 2209 drivers and the nylon wheels, both are in the country so I hope it is here next or this week.
4 wheels is definitely better! There is a chance that the wubble I see in my footage, is caused by the carriage that is bending due to the strain by the wheels.
So I might beef that up, I have some ideas on this.

I am contemplating using a 20x40 profile or two 20x20 profiles set apart. The slider really needs to be stiffer than anything I'm seeing being applied on the JJRobots version. That includes a wide stance for the wheel plate. I just can't see wheels only 20mm apart resisting much twisting.

A double profile version would be heavier of course but probably something I can live with. 20x20 V-slot extrusion weighs 500g/m so the extra material will add about 350g to my current slider but then take away the original two solid steel 8mm rods. Right now the original version of mine weighs 1500g and yet feels very light.

Gearing - I see the extrusion version STLs of the teeth come to 72:18 and the original is 100:10 so I still can't get my brain around what that difference does to the speed of rotation. I guess as long as the mathematics to keep the camera aimed at the same spot are correct I don't have to concern myself. Trigonometry was never my forté.
06-27-2020, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2020 08:29 AM by MisterMaker.)
The real issue I had with the gears is that gears don't 100% lock-up so when I was using the slider not perfectly straight it could wobble in the gears.
It would be way better to make fishbone gears, the 3D printer wouldn't mind printing fishbone gears or normal so that would be the same. But a belt has 0 slack and is way compacter for the same gear ratio.
I really wanted to mount a tripod head and the big bearing fits nicely under it, I see no reason to use bearings on the side, for now.
I do have my bearing not fixed properly. This is also the case in JJ design and I did the same mistake. It's an easy fix in CAD but I have to dismantle the carriage again.

Still the biggest noise I have is a wobble, I think it is the 3D printed wheels. Still waiting on that package with the normal wheels. It's waiting customers clearing...
On the 20x20 or 20x40 I don't know, extra weight would be good, since it vibrates pretty easy now. But I don't see any bending.

Check my latest design here:
https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...7186934786
07-15-2020, 07:21 PM
Update on my progress.
https://twitter.com/MvdH74169613/status/...3526048771
I noticed the devia board has a little switch. I want to try and use this to switch moving directions.
Note sure if I could just flip?
Code:
dir_M1=0;
dir_M2=0;