Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PID for a modified B-Robot
04-26-2020, 04:57 PM
PID for a modified B-Robot
My B-Robot is now working properly, since changing to a large LiFe battery. However, this has left me with a problem - the thing is a bit heavier, and the centre of mass is higher (I had to make spacers to add about 12 - 14mm between the electronics shelf and the motors). This has messed up the PID, as you can see in this video:
YouTube
I have tried playing with the PID values in the Android app, but nothing seems to resolve the problem.

Any bright ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2020, 10:19 PM
RE: PID for a modified B-Robot
It is a tough challenge for even the best setup robot to balance complete still on a carpet, but still try adjusting your #define ANGLE_OFFSET in the BROBOT_EVO2_23_M0.ino
04-27-2020, 09:10 AM
(04-26-2020 10:19 PM)justjason Wrote:  It is a tough challenge for even the best setup robot to balance complete still on a carpet, but still try adjusting your #define ANGLE_OFFSET in the BROBOT_EVO2_23_M0.ino

I'll try that - but it also wobbles on a hard surface! Smile
04-30-2020, 02:11 PM
As a matter of interest, can anyone give guidance for changing this value, or is it trial-and-error to see what happens? I'd be interested to know the range of valid values, for a start.
04-30-2020, 02:16 PM
(04-30-2020 02:11 PM)David_J Wrote:  As a matter of interest, can anyone give guidance for changing this value, or is it trial-and-error to see what happens? I'd be interested to know the range of valid values, for a start.
Try to not "overshot" first. That means: reduce the Proportional value as much as you can (you will be below a valid value when the robot can not respond and fall). Then go for the D value, that will prevent the robot to wobble too much but at the same time, it will limit its response. So, it is a "finding the balance" with a set of values. The I will prevent the robot to move by itself, keep moving fordward without any input from your control APP.

This is just a general idea, there are some minor "interferences" among the PID values not easy to isolate by themselves, but it may help.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Late update: It looks like this was due to a problem with my DEVIA board (one set of motor connector pins fell off the board!) - jjRobots promptly sent me a replacement and the B-Robot now only shows what I would call "acceptable wobble" (normal correction movement). Smile