Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heads up on the MPU-6050: wrong capacitor on the breakout board
08-09-2019, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2019 12:12 PM by Vaygr.)
Heads up on the MPU-6050: wrong capacitor on the breakout board
Hey everyone,

I've been experimenting quite a bit with the MPU-6050 which is the IMU sensor delivered with the BROBOT 2. While researching and learning how to minimise the noise from the sensor so that the resulting PWM output to the motors are accurate and smooth, i came across this interesting post: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=394691.0 linked from https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/MPU-6050/#boards which mentions that there are actually 2 slightly different models of the GY-521 out there and one of them has extra noise due to having the wrong capacitor value installed in the factory.

I just thought that i'd bring it up here, since the kit that i bought over a year ago, came with the aforementioned "incorrect" GY-521 breakout board. However, the BROBOT code is very robust and seems to deal with filtering this extra noise issue quite well. But if you're coding your own self-balancing robot and happen to have the defective GY-521 sensor, then maybe have a closer look at improving your IMU sensor filtering. Shy

I have attached the 2 breakout boards pictures below for convenience.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2019, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2019 02:11 PM by JJrobots JP.)
RE: Heads up on the MPU-6050: wrong capacitor on the breakout board
Thanks for this! You are 100% right. Some MPU boards come with the "wrong" capacitor, so we have to (just in case someone wants to replicate the project using the "wrong" MPU version) make the code as robust as posible. Actually, the code, as you mentioned, filters the noise in order to make the B-robot as fast as possible not limiting the performance.
Knowing that could be a problem in the long run, we have opted now to create our "complete solution" board with our own MPU and microprocessor (ARM cortex M0). It is basically a powerful ARDUINO M0 board but with WIFI, MPU, 5-12V voltage controllable output, servos and 3 stepper motor outputs. 100% compatible with the Arduino IDE but cheaper than the original Arduino M0 (plus more cool outputs)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2019, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2019 05:21 AM by Vaygr.)
The new Brain Shield looks great! Cool
It's really nice to have more capable hardware in an overall smaller package. I can't wait to see what JJrobots come up with using all this extra power! Big Grin
08-11-2019, 04:37 AM
Where can I find the information of your "complete solution" board?
(08-09-2019 02:02 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  Thanks for this! You are 100% right. Some MPU boards come with the "wrong" capacitor, so we have to (just in case someone wants to replicate the project using the "wrong" MPU version) make the code as robust as posible. Actually, the code, as you mentioned, filters the noise in order to make the B-robot as fast as possible not limiting the performance.
Knowing that could be a problem in the long run, we have opted now to create our "complete solution" board with our own MPU and microprocessor (ARM cortex M0). It is basically a powerful ARDUINO M0 board but with WIFI, MPU, 5-12V voltage controllable output, servos and 3 stepper motor outputs. 100% compatible with the Arduino IDE but cheaper than the original Arduino M0 (plus more cool outputs)
08-13-2019, 11:16 AM
(08-11-2019 04:37 AM)twinclouds Wrote:  Where can I find the information of your "complete solution" board?
(08-09-2019 02:02 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  Thanks for this! You are 100% right. Some MPU boards come with the "wrong" capacitor, so we have to (just in case someone wants to replicate the project using the "wrong" MPU version) make the code as robust as posible. Actually, the code, as you mentioned, filters the noise in order to make the B-robot as fast as possible not limiting the performance.
We will publish everything ASAP
In the meantime you can take a look at the electronic schematic here:
.pdf  DEVIA board SCHEMATIC.pdf (Size: 109.69 KB / Downloads: 7)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user