Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ESP8266 module on the Brain shield - running what firmware?
04-16-2019, 04:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 04:31 AM by Vaygr.)
ESP8266 module on the Brain shield - running what firmware?
I have been learning about ESP8266 and how it can communicate via UART with Arduino which sends AT commands, but relating to the B-ROBOT, i want to ask:

1. What is the original firmware pre-loaded on the ESP8266 module when the Brain shield is delivered, that is, before any of the provided B-ROBOT code is uploaded to it? Is it AT firmware? Arduino firmware? NodeMCU firmware?

2. When uploading the B-ROBOT sketch to the Leonardo with the Brain shield, is there any Arduino code uploaded to the ESP8266 module (other than to the Leonardo)?

I had a look at the BROBOT Arduino code to figure out how it works with the ESP module, but it's a bit confusing as it mentions UDP packets, which is used to communicate via the OSC protocol to the Android controller app, so i'm wondering if this code which has been uploaded to the ESP??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 05:07 AM by twinclouds.)
RE: ESP8266 module on the Brain shield - running what firmware?
(04-16-2019 04:16 AM)Vaygr Wrote:  I have been learning about ESP8266 and how it can communicate via UART with Arduino which sends AT commands, but relating to the B-ROBOT, i want to ask:

1. What is the original firmware pre-loaded on the ESP8266 module when the Brain shield is delivered, that is, before any of the provided B-ROBOT code is uploaded to it? Is it AT firmware? Arduino firmware? NodeMCU firmware?

2. When uploading the B-ROBOT sketch to the Leonardo with the Brain shield, is there any Arduino code uploaded to the ESP8266 module (other than to the Leonardo)?

I had a look at the BROBOT Arduino code to figure out how it works with the ESP module, but it's a bit confusing as it mentions UDP packets, which is used to communicate via the OSC protocol to the Android controller app, so i'm wondering if this code which has been uploaded to the ESP??
I am no expert on ESP8266. Below are some of my understandings from making a clone of B-Robert using pro-micro and other parts.
I believe the AT firmware is already in ESP8266. What Arduino/Leonardo does is simply sending setup instructions and commands through the Rx/Tx interfaces to ESP8266 when initializing and running. I don't believe the sketch uploaded to Leonardo has anything to do with ESP8266. When I uploaded the sketch, ESP8266/ESP12F was even not connected.
I received my ESP01 today. I just pulled out the ESP12F from its socket on the pro micro board and connected the vcc/ground/rx/tx/reset/CH_PD wires to the corresponding pins on ESP01. After turning on power, it works without any problem. I even didn't reupload the sketch.
Find all posts by this user
Yesterday, 07:05 PM
RE: ESP8266 module on the Brain shield - running what firmware?
(04-16-2019 04:16 AM)Vaygr Wrote:  I have been learning about ESP8266 and how it can communicate via UART with Arduino which sends AT commands, but relating to the B-ROBOT, i want to ask:

The ESP modules comes with the original (and untouched) firmware. The B-robot codes, just configure the WIFI module with certain parameters as SSID name and PASSWORD
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user