Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Getting Started
12-24-2018, 01:12 AM
Getting Started
I'm a bit of a rookie at this stuff. I've fully assembled the blimpduino and charged the battery. I'm testing now, it turns on and all the motors start spinning. I can connect via WiFi but when I launch the app and adjust the controls, nothing happens. I thought there would be feedback of some sort (increasing the throttle would spin up the motor, etc.)

Help!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2018, 12:47 AM
RE: Getting Started
I recently received the blimpduino as a present and I am looking forward to using it.

As I put the project together I have two questions:

1) At this point in the instructions:

"place your thumb on the back of the motor, align the axis and insert it into the propeller. With the kit, it comes a set of 4 propellers (2 clockwise + 2 anti-clockwise units). The anti-clockwise propellers have a A letter close to the axis. The blimpduino uses 2 anti-clockwise and 1 clockwise propellers. Check where every propeller has to be placed observing the photos below."

1) Should the printed A on the Anticlockwise propellers be facing up on the table? Or does this not matter?

2) When attaching the wings into the lateral channels of the main frame, do you recommend that I use glue/epoxy? These wings fit snugly, but they seem like they could come apart under stress.

Thank you
12-26-2018, 06:36 PM
(12-24-2018 01:12 AM)akabk Wrote:  I'm a bit of a rookie at this stuff. I've fully assembled the blimpduino and charged the battery. I'm testing now, it turns on and all the motors start spinning. I can connect via WiFi but when I launch the app and adjust the controls, nothing happens. I thought there would be feedback of some sort (increasing the throttle would spin up the motor, etc.)

Help!

Thanks!
Just to discard problems: re-upload the blipmduino code to the control board. Did you let the blimpduino to calibrate itself keeping it steady for 10 seconds?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-26-2018, 06:46 PM
(12-26-2018 12:47 AM)johntynan Wrote:  I recently received the blimpduino as a present and I am looking forward to using it.

"place your thumb on the back of the motor, align the axis and insert it into the propeller. With the kit, it comes a set of 4 propellers (2 clockwise + 2 anti-clockwise units). The anti-clockwise propellers have a A letter close to the axis. The blimpduino uses 2 anti-clockwise and 1 clockwise propellers. Check where every propeller has to be placed observing the photos below."

1) Should the printed A on the Anticlockwise propellers be facing up on the table? Or does this not matter?

2) When attaching the wings into the lateral channels of the main frame, do you recommend that I use glue/epoxy? These wings fit snugly, but they seem like they could come apart under stress.

Thank you

1) Up on the table? you mean if you place the gondola resting on the two side wings? If so, yes. The A on the starboard motor should be visible from the "lifting" motor point of view. Check the photo attached

2) No need. The axial force will be applied longitudinally to the wing support channel. Moreover, the mass has been calculated to avoid resonance on the gondola frame. Maybe (just maybe) adding glue could change a little bit the mass and make the wings vibrate when accelerating.
12-28-2018, 04:32 AM
(12-26-2018 06:46 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  
(12-26-2018 12:47 AM)johntynan Wrote:  I recently received the blimpduino as a present and I am looking forward to using it.

Thank you

1) Up on the table? you mean if you place the gondola resting on the two side wings? If so, yes. The A on the starboard motor should be visible from the "lifting" motor point of view. Check the photo attached

2) No need. The axial force will be applied longitudinally to the wing support channel. Moreover, the mass has been calculated to avoid resonance on the gondola frame. Maybe (just maybe) adding glue could change a little bit the mass and make the wings vibrate when accelerating.

Thank you for this information. I now see which direction the propellers should be facing.

I did encounter two problems:

1) I must have pressed too hard in putting the propeller on the motor because the back part of the motor came away from the cylindrical housing.

2) the screws to affix the motherboard to the gondola do not have a deep enough channel for me to fully screw them in.

Tell me can these parts be purchased for replacement?

Thanks!
12-30-2018, 06:56 PM
(12-28-2018 04:32 AM)johntynan Wrote:  
(12-26-2018 06:46 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  

Thank you

Thank you for this information. I now see which direction the propellers should be facing.

I did encounter two problems:

1) I must have pressed too hard in putting the propeller on the motor because the back part of the motor came away from the cylindrical housing.

Hmm... We will update the assembly guide with a comment about that issue. Thanks for the feedback.

2) the screws to affix the motherboard to the gondola do not have a deep enough channel for me to fully screw them in.

The channels should be deep enough. They are hollow and almost 2 cms long. Would you like us to send you a replacement of the Gondola?

Tell me can these parts be purchased for replacement?

They are 1.5 mm (M1.5) bolts. 10 mm long. An

Thanks!
01-21-2019, 06:16 PM
(12-26-2018 06:36 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  
(12-24-2018 01:12 AM)akabk Wrote:  I'm a bit of a rookie at this stuff. I've fully assembled the blimpduino and charged the battery. I'm testing now, it turns on and all the motors start spinning. I can connect via WiFi but when I launch the app and adjust the controls, nothing happens. I thought there would be feedback of some sort (increasing the throttle would spin up the motor, etc.)

Help!

Thanks!
Just to discard problems: re-upload the blipmduino code to the control board. Did you let the blimpduino to calibrate itself keeping it steady for 10 seconds?

I have the same problem and so am trying to (re)load code on the board. The latest version of the IDE cannot see the serial port (MacOS 10.14.2) when the board is plugged in. There is quite a lot on the net about serial ports on MacOS, but I am wondering if the boot loader isn't on it if it cannot even see the usb serial port from the computer. There are no serial device in /dev at all. I certainly will not be able to download new code this way.

Thanks for any suggestions!