Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Height degradation
08-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Height degradation
Hi
I was wondering if anyone else has an issue with the height of the arm/pen degrading each time a lift/drop is done, to the point where the pen is dragging over the object when the pen is 'up'.
I have tried increasing the pen up/down value but I still get this degradation.
Obviously on plots that dont have a lot of lifts its all good and works great, however for more complicated plots it fails to maintain the same height.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2018, 11:53 AM
RE: Height degradation
You mean, the servo horn ends at different position every time it moves?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Hi
Yes over a series of lifts and drops of the pen, the lifts get lower gaining less height each time until the lift no longer is enough to clear the pen from the object and thus ruining the plot as it traces lines as it moves to the next plot point.

(08-27-2018 11:53 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  You mean, the servo horn ends at different position every time it moves?
08-29-2018, 10:48 AM
That is strange. The only explanation for this is that the internal potentiometer of the servo (in charge of translate the pulse signal into a position) is failing. Some info about how a servo works here: https://www.jjrobots.com/remotely-contro...r-pointer/ (How does a SERVO MOTOR work?)
The easy way to solve this is to get another servo (SG90, for example, they are inexpensive).
08-29-2018, 08:48 PM
(08-29-2018 10:48 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  That is strange. The only explanation for this is that the internal potentiometer of the servo (in charge of translate the pulse signal into a position) is failing. Some info about how a servo works here: https://www.jjrobots.com/remotely-contro...r-pointer/ (How does a SERVO MOTOR work?)
The easy way to solve this is to get another servo (SG90, for example, they are inexpensive).

Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I received a bad one as its all pretty new and has not been used much.
I have ordered in a few spares to have a play with and see if they make a difference.
Ill report back my findings when I have some.
Cheers
08-30-2018, 01:55 PM
(08-29-2018 08:48 PM)smellyboy Wrote:  
(08-29-2018 10:48 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  That is strange. The only explanation for this is that the internal potentiometer of the servo (in charge of translate the pulse signal into a position) is failing. Some info about how a servo works here: https://www.jjrobots.com/remotely-contro...r-pointer/ (How does a SERVO MOTOR work?)

Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I received a bad one as its all pretty new and has not been used much.
I have ordered in a few spares to have a play with and see if they make a difference.
Ill report back my findings when I have some.
Cheers
Yes, keep us updated please
;-)
09-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Just to follow up on this for anyone else reading...
I replaced the servo and it appears to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help