Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Servo Problems - what am I doing wrong?
06-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Servo Problems - what am I doing wrong?
I have set the servos to be just like the pictures in the assembly guide. However, the wiper servo doesn't work properly (it is almost always in "wipe" mode, but occasionally will turn) and the drawing servo seems to be working incorrectly as well.

Here is a video I made. I removed the erasing arm because I can't get it to write anything with it on. The servo arm doesn't appear to really do anything, it just puts itself to the side and starts hitting the assembly, and stays that way until the very end- then it goes back out. Is that normal behavior? I would the the lifter arm would lift when it changes each letter.

Any suggestions? Do I have bad servos? Is there something else I'm missing?

https://youtu.be/QTmmIsPWErs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2018, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2018 02:58 PM by techyg.)
RE: Servo Problems - what am I doing wrong?
Here is some of the troubleshooting I have done on the lifting arm:

1) Confirmed that the connection to the servo is correct (lifter is Servo 2, and I am using the "blue board" version of the Leanardo).
2) Tried a different servo (I have some extras) to see if it would behave differently with how the arm moves. They behave the same way. The arm keeps moving to the left when I start printing, and never comes back to actually touch the glass.
3) I tried mounting the arm to angle on the right side to touch the glass. When I did this, the arm turned left, and stopped where it was perpendicular to the glass, and lifted the glass the entire time while I was trying to write something.
4) Reinstalled firmware...

Any other ideas?? Still doing the same thing as in the video no matter what I try. The lifting arm just doesn't want to work properly.
06-16-2018, 03:17 PM
OK, after pulling my hair out, it looks like I somehow had the connections to the servos switched. I found an old thread from JohnQ that tipped me off- the servo has to move 3 times after powering up. Looks like it is working now.
06-17-2018, 03:11 PM
(06-16-2018 03:17 PM)techyg Wrote:  OK, after pulling my hair out, it looks like I somehow had the connections to the servos switched. I found an old thread from JohnQ that tipped me off- the servo has to move 3 times after powering up. Looks like it is working now.

Well, at least you did not connect the motors to the servos connectors as I did once! :-D

Good to hear you solved the problem