Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Self Balancing Rover project (running the brain shield)
05-01-2018, 07:10 PM
My Self Balancing Rover project (running the brain shield)

Still playing with the design - the top part where I plan to mount the camera.. is still missing

120mm wheels
Nema17
The brain shield (hope to use the new shield)

This is one of my many "learning by doing" projects :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2018, 09:16 AM
RE: My Self Balancing Rover project (running the brain shield)
Nice design! What software package are you using for 3D designing? Will you add bumpers? -> The center of gravity looks low enough to raise the robot by itself without the need of an arm/servo
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2018, 09:32 AM
(05-02-2018 09:16 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  Nice design! What software package are you using for 3D designing? Will you add bumpers? -> The center of gravity looks low enough to raise the robot by itself without the need of an arm/servo

I guess it`s smart adding some kind of bumbers - I`ll do that

Hope to use the new "brain" for this prpject more power/more compact :-)

I use Fusion360 (free for hobby use) for all my design.

I have designed my own CNC milling mashine using Fusion (another "learning by doing" project :-) )

I love planning/designing something and then build it :-)

Hope to get it ready soon - then I can make a lot of stuff for all my ideas/projects.. :-)

I have designed quadcopters.. this way - plan ad test build using 3D in fusion, and then make the parts.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-02-2018, 10:41 AM
(05-02-2018 09:16 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  Nice design! What software package are you using for 3D designing? Will you add bumpers? -> The center of gravity looks low enough to raise the robot by itself without the need of an arm/servo

Should I move the LiPo right on top of the motors ?
05-02-2018, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2018 12:34 PM by Vaygr.)
Great design! You can have a better idea of the official robot design with a 3D view and you can also download the .DAE file: https://sketchfab.com/models/853874fa2d1...66b422bca#

In the official build, the battery pack is placed right on top of the motors. You could just replace it with a LiPo battery. This will help to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

And yes, bumpers are a good idea, as the robot will most likely fall or get knocked over when hitting an object or when going off-road, so it's wise to protect the electronics from shock and the casing from possible damage. You could 3D print a thin rectangular strap to use as a front/back bumper or use other methods, like rubber pads, etc.
05-02-2018, 01:42 PM
(05-02-2018 12:23 PM)Vaygr Wrote:  Great design! You can have a better idea of the official robot design with a 3D view and you can also download the .DAE file: https://sketchfab.com/models/853874fa2d1...66b422bca#

In the official build, the battery pack is placed right on top of the motors. You could just replace it with a LiPo battery. This will help to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

And yes, bumpers are a good idea, as the robot will most likely fall or get knocked over when hitting an object or when going off-road, so it's wise to protect the electronics from shock and the casing from possible damage. You could 3D print a thin rectangular strap to use as a front/back bumper or use other methods, like rubber pads, etc.

When I google about self balancing robots I find a lot of sites where they say it is important to have the weight like batteries.. on the top to get the best balance..

But I guess a lot of testing has been done when designing the B-Robot.
05-02-2018, 04:04 PM

The jjrobots brain shield and the wheels arrived today :-)

I`m going to start without the Raspberry PI until I have a self-balancing robot - then I can start add the other stuff later.

Hope the new brain is ready soon ;-)

I may alter my design a bit to get a narrower frame - more space than I need like it is now

Did a small electronics test - Used Arduino and uploaded the code to the Leonardo
connected a servo + GY-86 (MPU-6050)
Installed the remote app on my Samsung S9
All fine so far - next I`ll test the stepper drivers/motors
05-03-2018, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 12:25 PM by Vaygr.)
(05-02-2018 01:42 PM)@mundsen Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 12:23 PM)Vaygr Wrote:  Great design! You can have a better idea of the official robot design with a 3D view and you can also download the .DAE file: https://sketchfab.com/models/853874fa2d1...66b422bca#

When I google about self balancing robots I find a lot of sites where they say it is important to have the weight like batteries.. on the top to get the best balance..

I think that the low center of gravity benefits the B-Robot in 2 ways: first, it allows the robot to move faster and secondly, it can self-right itself, meaning get back upright on its own without requiring the servo arm.

(05-02-2018 04:04 PM)@mundsen Wrote:  The jjrobots brain shield and the wheels arrived today :-)

I`m going to start without the Raspberry PI until I have a self-balancing robot - then I can start add the other stuff later.

Hope the new brain is ready soon ;-)

I may alter my design a bit to get a narrower frame - more space than I need like it is now

Did a small electronics test - Used Arduino and uploaded the code to the Leonardo
connected a servo + GY-86 (MPU-6050)
Installed the remote app on my Samsung S9
All fine so far - next I`ll test the stepper drivers/motors

If you have time, maybe you can fix the modelling with the correct dimensions for the Brain Shield - it looks pretty cool. Tongue

I altered the official chassis to accommodate a second servo arm. I basically widened it enough so the distance between each servo and the Arduino+Shield is the same on both sides: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2858220
I'm also working on a few other design and functional changes/improvements... To be posted later. Angel
05-03-2018, 12:25 PM
(05-03-2018 12:16 PM)Vaygr Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 01:42 PM)@mundsen Wrote:  

I think that the low center of gravity benefits the B-Robot in 2 ways: first, it allows the robot to move faster and secondly, it can self-right itself, meaning get back upright on its own without requiring the servo arm.

Ok :-) I`m going to redisign my model - some more based on 3D printed parts, lower the LiPo..
05-03-2018, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 07:06 PM by @mundsen.)
Still playing with the design :-)

More like this (close to the original B-Robot)

Or is this the ultimate setup, where the LiPo is placed between the stepper motors?

Does it work like this?
If the weight is centered you get higher speed on flat surface, but get low counter weight.
If you get the weight like LiPo.. higher away from the motor axis you get lower speed, but get higher counter weight.

The counter weight is not as important on a flat surface as if you want your robot to "climb" an angled surface??

So if I want a "rower" robot that I can use outside the house (FPV..) I should move the LiPo/weight higher, but if I only want a robot for a flat floor, I should get the weight lower?