Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Servo buzzing/not moving
04-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Servo buzzing/not moving
Hi,

Just assembled my Sphere-O-Bot and uploaded the code to the Arduino. This is my first experience with the Arduino and I have little knowledge about it.

The egg and pen motors work perfectly and I can manually move them from within the Inkscape extension, but the servo did not move at all at first. Then, it started making a buzzing noise and getting warm (This lasted about 2 min as I tried to move the Pen up and down through the Inkscape extension). Suddenly, the servo moved up and down twice and is now frozen in the down position (I cannot even move the servo arm manually, as I could before).

The servo continues to make a buzzing sound when the Arduino is powered. I've tried the reset button on the board and re-uploading the code. Nothing changes - motors work, servo buzzes. I have used exactly the versions of the EggBot code recommended in the online assembly instructions. Here is an image of my board. Any help would be great.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2018, 10:28 AM
RE: Servo buzzing/not moving
It looks like the servo is connected to the SERVO 2 port instead the SERVO 1. Switch connectors and see how it goes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2018, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2018 01:28 PM by alibrande.)
(04-09-2018 10:28 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  It looks like the servo is connected to the SERVO 2 port instead the SERVO 1. Switch connectors and see how it goes.

Hi - No, its in servo 1. I double checked with a magnifying glass that I was plugged into the servo plug closest to the edge of the board (labelled Servo 1). In the photo, I think the glare of my light provides a bit of reflection on the contacts that makes it hard to see where the servo is plugged in.

I did try switching it, but the other port provides no power at all to the servo and nothing happens (no buzz, no movement).
04-09-2018, 02:07 PM
hmmm... could be the servo then. Do you have any other servo around? If not, contact us at: info@jjrobots.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2018, 04:49 PM
I don't have one on hand, but I can get one pretty quickly. They are a very inexpensive part, so I'll just try another servo first, then I'll let you know if I still have difficulties. Thanks for the prompt reply.

(04-09-2018 02:07 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  hmmm... could be the servo then. Do you have any other servo around? If not, contact us at: info@jjrobots.com
04-12-2018, 11:55 PM
(04-09-2018 02:07 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  hmmm... could be the servo then. Do you have any other servo around? If not, contact us at: info@jjrobots.com

I figured it out!!! Yay!! As a newbie to robots, this is so thrilling. I had tightened the screw holding the servo arm too tight and it must have affected something inside. I loosened it and the servo works just fine. Fantastic! Thanks for the help.Big GrinBig Grin

I'm ready for my first egg!