Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ImportError: No module named eggbot_scan
02-08-2018, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 10:42 PM by Becci.Simmons.)
Initially Inkscape couldn't talk to the eggbot at all - so I followed the steps in this thread http://forums.jjrobots.com/thread-1199.html and replaced the eggbot.py file (step 3). Now I'm getting the error in Inkscape:

"No module named eggbot-scan"

The full message is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eggbot.py", line 34, in <module>
import eggbot_scan

This is my first time with arduino, so I tested the upload using the Arduino IDE and Serial Monitor (step 8) and the stepper motor did move, so I don't think I've got a USB cable or port issue.

I'm running Inkscape 0.91 with the EggBot 2.7.1_Mac extensions, Arduino 1.8.5 and uploaded the Ejjduino_ARDUINO

I just reinstalled the EggBot mac extensions (which backgraded the eggbot.py file) and I'm back to the Error "Failed to connect to EggBot. Sad"

So I've upgraded the eggbot.py file again and I'm back to "No module named eggbot_scan" when I try to run any of the Eggbot Controls in Inkscape. I've looked in the folder at path /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions and indeed there is no module called eggbot_scan in there. Where can I get the missing module?

thanks, Becci
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2018, 10:52 PM
RE: ImportError: No module named eggbot_scan
(02-08-2018 10:03 PM)Becci.Simmons Wrote:  Initially Inkscape couldn't talk to the eggbot at all - so I followed the steps in this thread http://forums.jjrobots.com/thread-1199.html and replaced the eggbot.py file (step 3). Now I'm getting the error in Inkscape:

The full message is:

import eggbot_scan

This is my first time with arduino, so I tested the upload using the Arduino IDE and Serial Monitor (step 8) and the stepper motor did move, so I don't think I've got a USB cable or port issue.

I'm running Inkscape 0.91 with the EggBot 2.7.1_Mac extensions, Arduino 1.8.5 and uploaded the Ejjduino_ARDUINO

I just reinstalled the EggBot mac extensions (which backgraded the eggbot.py file) and I'm back to the Error "Failed to connect to EggBot. Sad"

So I've upgraded the eggbot.py file again and I'm back to "No module named eggbot_scan" when I try to run any of the Eggbot Controls in Inkscape. I've looked in the folder at path /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions and indeed there is no module called eggbot_scan in there. Where can I get the missing module?

thanks, Becci

Any luck with this? I'm at the exact same spot as you. . . Not entirely sure what else is needed at this point. The egg bot works just fine on my pc but I'd like it to work on my macbook air for portability
03-22-2018, 12:21 AM
(03-21-2018 10:52 PM)rhill051 Wrote:  
(02-08-2018 10:03 PM)Becci.Simmons Wrote:  Initially Inkscape couldn't talk to the eggbot at all - so I followed the steps in this thread http://forums.jjrobots.com/thread-1199.html and replaced the eggbot.py file (step 3). Now I'm getting the error in Inkscape:

The full message is:

import eggbot_scan

thanks, Becci

Any luck with this? I'm at the exact same spot as you. . . Not entirely sure what else is needed at this point. The egg bot works just fine on my pc but I'd like it to work on my macbook air for portability

I got it working. Instead of installing and running the "EggBot.v2.4.0.dmg" I downloaded the zip file "EggBot_extensions_v2.4.0.zip" and manually copied the files into the 'extensions' directory. Hope this helps you.

p.s. I was having issues with the "EggBot.v2.4.0.dmg" running, it wasn't able to find the Inkscape application in my 'Applications' directory on my mac but manually copying the files over did the trick.
03-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Hi,

What I did was set up an old laptop running OS 10.7 and X11 (NOT XQuartz) with Inkscape 0.485 and Eggbot extension 2.4.0; so basically I stepped back in time with my software and equipment. Links to these older versions of software are several threads below in this forum.

Then everything worked as advertised and I've produced over 300 decorated eggs for our Junior school.

I will try your work-around once I've got my breath back. Thanks for posting.

Becci

(03-21-2018 10:52 PM)rhill051 Wrote:  

The full message is:

import eggbot_scan

thanks, Becci

03-23-2018, 01:37 AM
I am in a similar spot. I did an update to the eggbot.ph file as suggested by the Evil Mad Scientist. Before the update I was getting the "No module named eggbot_scan" error and now I am getting: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eggbot.py", line 1406, in <module>
e.affect()
File "inkex.py", line 283, in affect
self.effect()
File "eggbot.py", line 281, in effect
self.EggbotOpenSerial()
File "eggbot.py", line 1299, in EggbotOpenSerial
self.serialPort = self.getSerialPort()
File "eggbot.py", line 1356, in getSerialPort
for strComPort in eggbot_scan.findEiBotBoards():
File "eggbot_scanwin32.py", line 6, in findEiBotBoards
hKey = _winreg.OpenKey( hReg, r"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_04D8&PID_FD92" )
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Any idea? I am stuck. I am using windows 10 and I have checked to make sure the hardware is working via the serial monitor.
03-27-2018, 11:08 AM
(03-23-2018 01:37 AM)cameron_266 Wrote:  I am in a similar spot. I did an update to the eggbot.ph file as suggested by the Evil Mad Scientist. Before the update I was getting the "No module named eggbot_scan" error and now I am getting: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eggbot.py", line 1406, in <module>
e.affect()
File "inkex.py", line 283, in affect
self.effect()
File "eggbot.py", line 281, in effect
self.EggbotOpenSerial()
File "eggbot.py", line 1299, in EggbotOpenSerial
self.serialPort = self.getSerialPort()
File "eggbot.py", line 1356, in getSerialPort
for strComPort in eggbot_scan.findEiBotBoards():
File "eggbot_scanwin32.py", line 6, in findEiBotBoards
hKey = _winreg.OpenKey( hReg, r"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_04D8&PID_FD92" )
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Any idea? I am stuck. I am using windows 10 and I have checked to make sure the hardware is working via the serial monitor.
Becci,
They have solved the problem for MAC systems, not WINDOWS. You should just follow the steps listed here: http://forums.jjrobots.com/thread-1199.html and please pay attention to the software versions used