Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Leonardo power regulator smoked
07-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Leonardo power regulator smoked
Don't know if anyone has this problem, BRobot been running fine but Leonardo power regulartor burned out twice, usb still working, program upload without problem, it just the brain shield won't get power. There was no short on wires and battery is li-po S3 at 11.1v. I am ordering AMS1117 regulator chip to replace the burned out. Both Leonardo's were the original from Arduino, was there a defect somewhere or the brain shield problem?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2016, 09:59 AM
RE: Leonardo power regulator smoked
Hi Jimmy,
That is not normal at all. Actually, the Brain shield uses its own voltage regulators. And if the Brobot is working properly that mean everything is correctly connected. Just in case: Could you check if the servo correctly connected?
Next time, could you run the Brobot without connecting the servo?
07-25-2016, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2016 04:26 PM by jimmy.)
@JohnQ, That's good idea! didn't think of that. Will check it again after the board is repaired.

Thanks,
07-26-2016, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 05:03 PM by jimmy.)
ok, repaired the Leonardo (replaced the regulator AMS1117-5V) everything is working again including servo arm and let see how long until the regulator blow up again. I suspect I have stalled the servo arm or stepper motors by running it into something too many times.

https://youtu.be/PYi9HeBcd48
07-26-2016, 07:50 AM
Nice! Just wondering, where did you connect the leds? directly to the battery? What kind of led are they? And the wheels... they are cool! Where did you get them?
07-26-2016, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 04:31 PM by jimmy.)
@JohnQ, The leds are connected to the sensor pin on the shield, the breakout pin wasn't there I had to solder it in. the leds were from a broken car toy and they can take 5V as for the wheels they are Lego wheels.