Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My third robot - mini
05-22-2017, 03:31 PM
My third robot - mini
Hello, to complete my team of robots, i make myself a third one, this time in mini size; dimensions are height 130mm and width 110mm. The frame was from 3mm plywood and 5mm forex, assembled by 2mm screws. This time i have used one Leonardo Pro Micro board, two A4988 stepper drivers, one GY521 board and one ESP12 WIFI board, powered through 3,3v TO220 regulator. The power source was from 2 Lipo cell 1500mAh, and the motors used was JK35HY34-1004, powered at about 500ma max. The wheels was from Pololu 60mm of diameter. The small red led on the right serves to determine when the robot has finished the initialization phase.The software used is the last EVO2_17 modified for the Pro Micro board, because some pin are different than the Leonardo standard. The performance of this little beast was remarkable, with high speed and abrupt braking capacity without tipping over. A thanks to JJROBOTS software developers

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2017, 03:06 PM
RE: My third robot - mini
Hi Carlo1951,
Your robot-mini I find very interesting.
You installed the micro-board with ESP8266. My question now: one could not only use the ESP8266 ESP-12E BOARD. The store should be big enough?
Or is it not possible to adjust the CODES?
It would certainly be a great simplification if the whole program would only be in the ESP8266 ESP-12E.
greeting
Dieter
(translated with Google)
05-27-2017, 10:20 AM
(05-26-2017 03:06 PM)compuger Wrote:  Hi Carlo1951,
Your robot-mini I find very interesting.
You installed the micro-board with ESP8266. My question now: one could not only use the ESP8266 ESP-12E BOARD. The store should be big enough?
Or is it not possible to adjust the CODES?
It would certainly be a great simplification if the whole program would only be in the ESP8266 ESP-12E.
greeting
Dieter
(translated with Google)

Hi compuger,
i have used ESP8266 chip to keep the most parts of standard software, modifying only some code of EVO2_17 concerning the transition from Leonardo to Pro Micro board. To use the ESP8266 ESP-12E BOARD it's necessary to rewrite the full code, but the main problem is the critical timing necessary to control the stepper drivers ,that is not present on ESPxxx board. To decrease the size yet it's also possible to use an ESP01, which is smaller, and using a NEMA 14 stepper motors, like JK35HY28-0504, which is shorter then NEMA 14 i have used. If you want I can send by email ( to avoid message too long ) the changes to the code I made, using the Pro Micro board.
Regards.
Carlo.
06-07-2017, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 11:07 AM by radu022003.)
i am trying to build a "clone" of the B-Robot.
Instead of Leonardo and BrainShield, I used the same as you a perf board, 2x A4988, ESP8266, MPU-6050 and Arduino Pro Micro.

I changed in software port 12 with port 9 and software is running, motors are spinning, I am not yet finished with mechanical parts so I can not tell if everything fits and works as expected. But I was able to realize that the software is working only if the USB cable is connected to Arduino Pro Micro and Serial monitor is open.
Can you give a hint how to solve this?

Steppers are from jjRobots bought, so NEMA17.

I used the source code from here:
https://github.com/jjrobots/B-ROBOT_EVO2

06-07-2017, 02:50 PM
(06-07-2017 10:59 AM)radu022003 Wrote:  i am trying to build a "clone" of the B-Robot.
Instead of Leonardo and BrainShield, I used the same as you a perf board, 2x A4988, ESP8266, MPU-6050 and Arduino Pro Micro.

I changed in software port 12 with port 9 and software is running, motors are spinning, I am not yet finished with mechanical parts so I can not tell if everything fits and works as expected. But I was able to realize that the software is working only if the USB cable is connected to Arduino Pro Micro and Serial monitor is open.

Hi,
i would need to know what you change exactly moving from port 12 to port 9 of Pro Micro; in any case the connections to MPU 6050 are too long ( timing is critical ). What do you mean " the software is working only.... etc...".
If you want i can send by email my modified code and full electrical diagram of my little robot, which use the same hardware of you.
Keep me informed.
Regards, Carlo.
06-07-2017, 03:32 PM
(06-07-2017 02:50 PM)Carlo1951 Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 10:59 AM)radu022003 Wrote:  i am trying to build a "clone" of the B-Robot.

Hi,
i would need to know what you change exactly moving from port 12 to port 9 of Pro Micro; in any case the connections to MPU 6050 are too long ( timing is critical ). What do you mean " the software is working only.... etc...".
If you want i can send by email my modified code and full electrical diagram of my little robot, which use the same hardware of you.
Keep me informed.
Regards, Carlo.

Hello Carlo, if it is possible to receive from you the complete schematic and code, would be great.

The software starts only after programming with Arduino Ide or when i open the serial monitor, if i plug the battery, software is not starting.

Right now i placed the ESP8266 and connected it like in the brain shield. I keep getting timeout from communication between arduino pro mini and ESP8266
06-07-2017, 04:05 PM
(06-07-2017 03:32 PM)radu022003 Wrote:  

Hi,
Keep me informed.
Regards, Carlo.

Hello Carlo, if it is possible to receive from you the complete schematic and code, would be great.

The software starts only after programming with Arduino Ide or when i open the serial monitor, if i plug the battery, software is not starting.

Right now i placed the ESP8266 and connected it like in the brain shield. I keep getting timeout from communication between arduino pro mini and ESP8266
Hi,
i dont know the connections of your project, but dont supply external voltage to Micro board on the same time from USB !
Please send me by forum your email, and i will send my project to you.
Regards, Carlo.
06-07-2017, 04:36 PM
(06-07-2017 04:05 PM)Carlo1951 Wrote:  

Hi,
Keep me informed.
Regards, Carlo.

Hi,
i dont know the connections of your project, but dont supply external voltage to Micro board on the same time from USB !
Regards, Carlo.

I got to the point where i lay horizontally the robot for calibration and wifi initialization.
Everything seems to be normal from the serial console messages.

As soon as i rise up the robot it starts to spin the wheels continuously.
when i lay it back to horizontal position, motors stops.
06-07-2017, 08:55 PM
(06-07-2017 04:36 PM)radu022003 Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 04:05 PM)Carlo1951 Wrote:  

Hi,
Keep me informed.
Regards, Carlo.

Hi,
Regards, Carlo.

I got to the point where i lay horizontally the robot for calibration and wifi initialization.
Everything seems to be normal from the serial console messages.

As soon as i rise up the robot it starts to spin the wheels continuously.
when i lay it back to horizontal position, motors stops.
Hi,
when you lay it back to horizontal , stopping the motor is normal. But i suspect there are problems when you change D12 out to D9 out; what code change you make exactly ? The MPU connections are short ? The stepper cables are too long ?
To help i need more info from you ( ex. photo of assembly ); if i can help, send me your email, so i can send code and my electrical diagram, so you can compare my work to yours.
06-08-2017, 06:13 AM
Hi Carlo, I sent you a PM with my email address.

Last evening I discovered that the orientation of the gyroscope is critical, so I adjusted it, it can be seen in pictures.

The robot is now self balancing, I push it forward and backward and he can hold the vertical position.

I can connect with Android application from jjRobots to it and responds to left and right controls, but for forward and backward it is only leaning (forward and backward).

As schematic used by me you can use the brain shield schematic (that one I used) except that Arduino Pro Micro does not have D12 and I used D9.
Here is what I modified regarding this topic:

- in file BROBOT_EVO2.ino
pinMode(12, OUTPUT); -> pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
- in file Control.ino
SET(PORTD, 6); // STEP MOTOR 2 -> SET(PORTB, 5);
CLR(PORTD, 6); -> CLR(PORTB, 5);

I think a problem might be that my chasis is not balanced, but I am expecting to be able to move forward and backward.