Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Having problems detecting the Arduino?: Checking things
02-03-2019, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2019 02:28 AM by cathyfc.)
RE: Having problems detecting the Arduino?: Checking things
(03-20-2017 09:21 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  If your computer does not recognise the Arduino Leonardo or the Inkscape is not capable to detect the hardware check all these points:

NOTE: never connect or disconnect anything while the Arduino is connected to any power supply (including USB port).

1) Is the Arduino Leonardo detected by the computer? Check the Device Manager and confirm. Does your Leonardo shows up on any COM port?

Confirm the COM port is not higher than COM 4. If so, change the COM port to COM1 to COM 4 (howto: https://goo.gl/pVMmLs)

2) Are you using the stable version of Inkscape nad Eggbot Control Extension?
We recommend Inkscape Control extension version 2.4.0: https://github.com/evil-mad/EggBot/releases/tag/v2.4.0
And Inkscape 0.91: https://inkscape.org/en/download/

3) Replace the default eggbot.py file for this modified file. That will bypass any hardware identification process.

4) Narrow down any hardware problem:
Disconnect everything from the Arduino Leonardo (Brain Shield + stepper motor drivers) and try to detect the Arduino from the Computer/ Inkscape. If you can, connect again the Brain Shield without the stepper motor drivers, and check again. If you succeed now but did not before, it seems there is a problem with the stepper motors drivers. Connect one by one and recheck you can detect the Arduino Leonardo. Doing so you will figure out which one is not working properly.

NOTE: is the heatsink touching any metallic part on the stepper motor driver top side? Avoid that, it might create a short circuit.

5) Is your computer blocking any comunication to the COM ports? (antivirus, security software...)

6) Did you properly uploaded the code to the Arduino? You will must get a message like this once you have correctly uploaded the code to the Leonardo:

7) Try another USB cable.

8) From the Arduino IDE, open the SERIAL MONITOR and set its communication parameters as indicated below:

[Carriage return, 9600 bauds]
Then, type in the command field: SM,2000,0,-200
This will turn one motor. If you can see it moving, the hardware is OK

9) From the Arduino Official forum: Process to reinstall the Arduino Leonardo Drivers

Make sure your Leonardo is connected to the USB.
From the Device Manager:

1. Uninstall the Arduino Leonardo (COM17), it should disappear.
2. Hit the reset button on the Leonardo
3. When it shows up as Arduino Leonardo (COM18)
4. Quickly try to uninstall that driver.
5. In a few seconds it will then show up again to install driver, but cancel that.
6. If it shows up as Arduino Leonardo with yellow !, uninstall that as well
(at this point you should not see any Arduino listed in Device Manager)
7. Now hit reset on the Leonardo one more time.
8. It should prompt to install driver again.
9. Select "No, not this time"
10. Select "Install from a list or specific location"
11. Browse to your \arduino-1.0.4\drivers
12. Hopefully it should install as Arduino Leonardo bootloader
13. It should again prompt you to install again.
14. Select "No, not this time"
15. Select "Install from a list or specific location"
16. Browse to your \arduino-1.0.4\drivers
17. Hopefully it should install as Arduino Leonardo

10) Are you running the Inkscape as Administrator?: Right click on the Inkscape icon and click on "Run as administrator"

OK This all sound great but I am still having an issue and I can not do most of these suggestions because I am working with an Apple MAC computer. Maybe I just don't know the iso well enough but I have know Idea how to even check what COMM port the arduino is on On a MAC!! I have searched but I find no MAC Support... for this issue.

In the IDE When I plug in the board I have not been able to find any documentation if I should use Arduino Leonardo or Arduino Leonardo ETH I have tried both. When the board is plugged in the port that comes up is called "/dev/cu.usbmodem 1411" What does this mean?? not mentioned anywhere in the issues discussed here. I am very disappointed that this is so under documented ( at least I can't find anything useful ) for use on a MAC.

How do you run Inkscape in Administrator on a MAC?? I have never heard of this on a MAC.

How do you check what eggbot.py is correct on a MAC?

very frustrated I have a great print on my 3 d printer of all the parts and putting the whole thing together was a breeze but I am very disappointed that this project has been so hard to get running. PLEASE HELP Or I think I will box it all up and send it back to JJrobotics....

8) From the Arduino IDE, open the SERIAL MONITOR and set its communication parameters as indicated below:

[Carriage return, 9600 bauds]
Then, type in the command field: SM,2000,0,-200
This will turn one motor. If you can see it moving, the hardware is OK

I was able to get this to work so the hardware seems ok.... still not working with inkscape Sad

BTW I am using inkscape 0.91 and the eggbot extention 2.7.1 from everything I can find this combination should have all the corrections for this issue...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Having problems detecting the Arduino?: Checking things - cathyfc - 02-03-2019 02:02 AM