JJRobots COMMUNITY
Pybot -looking for PlayStation controller info - Printable Version

+- JJRobots COMMUNITY (http://forums.jjrobots.com)
+-- Forum: JJrobots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Armbot (Arduino OPEN SOURCE robotic arm) (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Pybot -looking for PlayStation controller info (/showthread.php?tid=2461)

Pybot -looking for PlayStation controller info - the_hoseman - 04-10-2020 06:59 PM

Hello, I just received my robot arm and currently putting it together. I must say I am impressed with the quality of the 3dprinted parts and robot kit. The devia board is impressive! You know what they say about first impressions Wink I have looked all over your site and did a basic search on this forum, but, I haven’t found any information on how to integrate the use of the PlayStation controller to operate the arm. I have a PS3 & PS4 controller available to me and I would appreciate your assistance in getting this information. My order #9851
Thanks in advance,
JS

I should probably mention that I am using the windows sw to interface with the arm. I had too many problems getting the sw to compile and run using python on my Mac running Catalina.

RE: Pybot -looking for PlayStation controller info - JJrobots JP - 04-13-2020 10:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback! After 3 years printing every day, we have (I think) mastered it :-D And the filament we are using is very good. We strongly recommend it. Sturdy and accurate.

Regarding the Xbox- PS4 controller.
It should work just after connecting it to the computer. We are still updating the user guide but basically, in the APP UI, this icon will get black once the controller is connected. That means, the controller has been detected and is ready to be used. The controller works only in the REAL TIME MOTION mode

[attachment=484]

You can adjust the axis configuration in the Python code (from line 5018). In the case you want to...

Can we ask about your problems with the SW under iOS system? We would love to add that to the Pybot Robotic arm troubleshooting for MAC users.

Getting feedback is extremely important (and sometimes hard. I do not know how Amazon can get millions of products reviews without crossing the "bothering too much" line).

We need your honest feedback. This is extremely important for us. jjRobots is getting bigger and losing perspective is a problem. We are asking you to review your robot/purchase. Just follow this LINK and review your order / our customer service.
https://www.jjrobots.com/review-your-order-please/
Thank you

RE: Pybot -looking for PlayStation controller info - the_hoseman - 04-13-2020 07:03 PM

Thank you for your quick response.

Yep, I figured it out. It works quite well in fact.

Long story short, I tried for several hours to get the scara script to run on two different macs. Both running Catalina. I tried python 2.7.17 & 3.7.7 installed using homebrew using pyenv to setup project env. Using python 2.7.17 I even spent the time to find the specific libraries and versions you call out. Then I tried to port the script to python3 using the "2to3-3.7" script. I made all of the necessary corrections presented to me with the different options and Nope!, it just wouldn't work. I didn't document the last error I got... It just got old after a hundred iterations. As a last resort, I tried to run the Windows binary on a virtual machine under Parallels v14 hypervisor. Ran into intermittent NW connectivity issues. Then I tried it on a VM using VMware fusion pro v11.5.3. Resolved the NW issue and then encountered a problem with getting the USB camera to work LoL.

In the end, I set a Bootcamp partition on my mac pro and decided to install python 2.7 on it. I then installed the libraries you specified, using the most current versions and voila' it worked like a charm on the first pass. Go figure!

All in all, I am very satisfied with the project. It's as much fun to play with as it was building it.

Oh by the way... the graphics showing how the stepper motors are connected to the Devia board are incorrect. You need to flip the connector around 180 on all three stepper motor connectors so the black wire is facing towards the back of the PCA towards the WIFI chip.

This is the reference I speak of:
ELECTRONICS. How to connect everything
https://www.jjrobots.com/scara-robotic-arm-assembly-guide/

Thank you for the high-quality pyBoy Robotic Arm product. Job well done!

RE: Pybot -looking for PlayStation controller info - JJrobots JP - 04-14-2020 12:24 PM

(04-13-2020 07:03 PM)the_hoseman Wrote:  Thank you for your quick response.

Yep, I figured it out. It works quite well in fact.

Long story short, I tried for several hours to get the scara script to run on two different macs. Both running Catalina. I tried python 2.7.17 & 3.7.7 installed using homebrew using pyenv to setup project env. Using python 2.7.17 I even spent the time to find the specific libraries and versions you call out. Then I tried to port the script to python3 using the "2to3-3.7" script. I made all of the necessary corrections presented to me with the different options and Nope!, it just wouldn't work. I didn't document the last error I got... It just got old after a hundred iterations. As a last resort, I tried to run the Windows binary on a virtual machine under Parallels v14 hypervisor. Ran into intermittent NW connectivity issues. Then I tried it on a VM using VMware fusion pro v11.5.3. Resolved the NW issue and then encountered a problem with getting the USB camera to work LoL.

In the end, I set a Bootcamp partition on my mac pro and decided to install python 2.7 on it. I then installed the libraries you specified, using the most current versions and voila' it worked like a charm on the first pass. Go figure!

All in all, I am very satisfied with the project. It's as much fun to play with as it was building it.

Oh by the way... the graphics showing how the stepper motors are connected to the Devia board are incorrect. You need to flip the connector around 180 on all three stepper motor connectors so the black wire is facing towards the back of the PCA towards the WIFI chip.

This is the reference I speak of:
ELECTRONICS. How to connect everything
https://www.jjrobots.com/scara-robotic-arm-assembly-guide/

Thank you for the high-quality pyBoy Robotic Arm product. Job well done!

No, thank you for the feedback

Regarding the motors connected backwards. YOU ARE RIGHT. The problem came with the latest Python APP version, we have at least 10 Pybots here in the office and the one we have used to double check the APP integrity had the motors connected with the cables flipped. SOLVED.

iOS systems: Jonathan, in charge of the control APP, works with a Macbook. He is monitoring the forum, and he is aware of this thread. Taking a look at it right now.

We are currently adding a suction cup to the Pybot. It is so much fun. An inexpensive vacuum pump is needed. Connected to the 12V voltage output of the DEVIA control board. We will release the add-on as soon as possible.

[attachment=485]

RE: Pybot -looking for PlayStation controller info - the_hoseman - 04-17-2020 05:44 PM

Sorry for the late response.

Yes the suction cup would be a welcomed accessory and update. I look forwards to your updates. If you ever need a guinea pig let me know I’d be more than happy to be a test subject and assist in the evolution of the project.

Thanks again,
JS

BTW - upon finishing the build, testing and playing with the robot arm on a daily basis, I left a positive review for the pybot robot arm. I find that playing with the arm, especially using PS3 remote, can be very therapeutic and relaxing.