JJRobots COMMUNITY
How to reduce vibration? - Printable Version

+- JJRobots COMMUNITY (http://forums.jjrobots.com)
+-- Forum: JJrobots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Motorized Camera SLIDER (/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: How to reduce vibration? (/showthread.php?tid=2291)

How to reduce vibration? - chrismhs - 12-24-2019 01:35 PM

Hey - love the product and the build, but I have found that there are some vibrations when the camera is in motion. This is fine for timelapses with high shutter speeds but it won't be good enough for astrophotography or anything in real time.

Has anyone got ideas on how to reduce the vibration? Either in code or something in the build?

RE: How to reduce vibration? - justjason - 12-24-2019 07:23 PM

What stepper drivers are you using?

RE: How to reduce vibration? - JJrobots JP - 12-26-2019 10:31 AM

Use the TCM2208 stepper motor drivers. They are silent and "interpolate" steps so the vibration will be drastically reduced.

RE: How to reduce vibration? - chrismhs - 12-27-2019 07:28 AM

I bought the kit, so the A4988 drivers. Will get hold of a couple of TMC2208 and give it a go! Thanks!

RE: How to reduce vibration? - JJrobots JP - 12-27-2019 01:57 PM

(12-27-2019 07:28 AM)chrismhs Wrote:  I bought the kit, so the A4988 drivers. Will get hold of a couple of TMC2208 and give it a go! Thanks!

Remember to place the heatsinks on the TMC, they got hot and can get damaged if they do not dissipate the heat properly

RE: How to reduce vibration? - maxmar - 01-19-2020 05:50 PM

First question:
Can the A4988 motor drivers simply be replaced by the TMC2208 without any changes on the code and the DEVIA control board?
If I have seen it correctly, the TMC2208 has more circuit board legs than the TMC2208 which might be in contact with the DEVIA board and cause some trouble?

Second question:
Would the DRV8825 be also a good alternative to the A4988? This replacement should be plug and play without the need to adapt anything in the code, if I know correctly.

RE: How to reduce vibration? - JJrobots JP - 01-20-2020 10:38 AM

(01-19-2020 05:50 PM)maxmar Wrote:  First question:
Can the A4988 motor drivers simply be replaced by the TMC2208 without any changes on the code and the DEVIA control board?
If I have seen it correctly, the TMC2208 has more circuit board legs than the TMC2208 which might be in contact with the DEVIA board and cause some trouble?

Second question:
Would the DRV8825 be also a good alternative to the A4988? This replacement should be plug and play without the need to adapt anything in the code, if I know correctly.

Yes, you can replace one for the other.They are 100% compatible. But the motors will spin in the opposite direction. If you want to "solve" this, connect the motor cable backwards on the DEVIA control board.

And yes, you can use DRV8825 but the TMC2208 are way better talking about noise, step control and smoothness.
NOTE: you may need to adjust the output current of the TMC2208. By default they deliver 1.3-1.6 Amperes and that is TOO MUCH. They will get too hot.

RE: How to reduce vibration? - Stubby - 04-23-2020 09:27 PM

I had the same minor initial noise as reported by other users, and followed the suggestions in the documentation, without real success. I finally figured out a quick solution that worked for me. The black 3D-printed plastic pulley was slightly out of round, and ever so slightly off center, so I filed it down and manually re-shaped it. This helped, but the ultimate solution was to swap out the black pulley for the 2nd orange one that is included in the slider kit. The orange one had much better tolerances; maybe it's a different kind of plastic.

Also, the pictures do not clearly explain whether the flange on the pulley should be mounted "down" or "up", and it's hard to tell with the pulley being the same color as the end base piece. I tried it both ways; it definitely is better mounted "down" so the timing belt doesn't slip off. Good luck.

RE: How to reduce vibration? - JJrobots JP - 04-27-2020 01:27 PM

(04-23-2020 09:27 PM)Stubby Wrote:  I had the same minor initial noise as reported by other users, and followed the suggestions in the documentation, without real success. I finally figured out a quick solution that worked for me. The black 3D-printed plastic pulley was slightly out of round, and ever so slightly off center, so I filed it down and manually re-shaped it. This helped, but the ultimate solution was to swap out the pulley for the 2nd orange one that is included in the slider kit. The orange one had much better tolerances; maybe it's a different kind of plastic.

Also, the pictures do not clearly explain whether the flange on the pulley should be mounted "down" or "up", and it's hard to tell with the pulley being the same color as the end base piece. I tried it both ways; it definitely is better mounted "down" so the timing belt doesn't slip off. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback. We will update the assembly guide with a notice regarding how to place the ball bearing "envelope".

Regarding the orange and black pulley: we detected that the black one was printed with some layers off, so we rapidly added a good one (the orange) to the 3D plastic parts KITs. As, due to certain circumstances, we could not remove the "bad" one, we have sent two units.

With the "THANK YOU FOR YOUR ORDER" message we sent a warning about this problem ,but it looks it is not getting to the MAKERs as it should :-\ Sorry for that