JJRobots COMMUNITY
New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - Printable Version

+- JJRobots COMMUNITY (http://forums.jjrobots.com)
+-- Forum: JJrobots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: B-Robot (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? (/showthread.php?tid=1619)

Pages: 1 2

New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - Vaygr - 04-29-2018 02:27 AM

I'm wondering if the upcoming electronic hybrid board will tackle the sensitivity issues of the IMU sensor to electromagnetic interference? Maybe the IMU sensor could be integrated directly into the board design? That could reduce electromagnetic interference as well as vibration concerns from B-Robot's frame. Overall, it would make the design more reliable, compact and also no need for an I2C cable.

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - @mundsen - 04-29-2018 07:07 AM

(04-29-2018 02:27 AM)Vaygr Wrote:  I'm wondering if the upcoming electronic hybrid board will tackle the sensitivity issues of the IMU sensor to electromagnetic interference? Maybe the IMU sensor could be integrated directly into the board design? That could reduce electromagnetic interference as well as vibration concerns from B-Robot's frame. Overall, it would make the design more reliable, compact and also no need for an I2C cable.

If integrated into the controller, there should be an option where you could select the integrated or an external one.
I think the ideal placement for the sensoron a self balancing robot, is in the senter between the stepper motors?

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - Vaygr - 05-01-2018 03:18 AM

The IMU could be plugged directly onto the brain shield just like for the two A4988 drivers.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it's better to let the IMU be 'free' as it needs to be centered in the chassis for proper operation of the robot and if it were fixed or integrated into the brain shield, then it would make things a bit more complicated as the entire Arduino+Shield would then need to be placed such that the IMU is centered along the horizontal axis of the robot.

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - JJrobots JP - 05-01-2018 10:30 AM

We will integrate the IMU into the PCB (no need for the i2c cable anymore). We are planning to use the MPU capabilities for more purposes like start or stop the robots just knocking on the table where it stands or to create a small drone just using 4 small dc motors. There will be an i2c bus as well for external sensor as a LIDAR

Regarding the placement of the IMU: it is curious how the final placement of the IMU does not change (considerably) the behavior of the B-robot. Actually, you can put it on top of the robot and not noticing any misbehavior at all. The only problem of using a long i2c: noise and EM interference.
Right now the first desing of the new brain shield has the same footprint and Arduino have but adding:
- The M0 processor
- 2 i2c buses
- 3 stepper motor drivers sockets
- ESP Wifi module
- MPU9250 accelerometer+gyro (way better than the MPU6050)
- SPI port (to control LEDs and others)
- 1-12 volt 1A PWM configurable output (to control air pumps, LEDs, reles, power servos
among other features

We will post info as soon as we have it ;-)

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - Vaygr - 05-01-2018 10:59 AM

(05-01-2018 10:30 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  We will integrate the IMU into the PCB (no need for the i2c cable anymore). We are planning to use the MPU capabilities for more purposes like start or stop the robots just knocking on the table where it stands or to create a small drone just using 4 small dc motors. There will be an i2c bus as well for external sensor as a LIDAR

Regarding the placement of the IMU: it is curious how the final placement of the IMU does not change (considerably) the behavior of the B-robot. Actually, you can put it on top of the robot and not noticing any misbehavior at all. The only problem of using a long i2c: noise and EM interference.
Right now the first desing of the new brain shield has the same footprint and Arduino have but adding:
- The M0 processor
- 2 i2c buses
- ESP Wifi module
- 1-12 volt 1A PWM configurable output (to control air pumps, LEDs, reles, power servos
among other features

Nice changes and improvements! Have you also considered upgrading the ESP module from ESP-12E to ESP-12F?

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - @mundsen - 05-01-2018 12:09 PM

Sounds great :-) hmm -I may have to wait for the new brain for my project and find another project for the "old" brain that (not arrived yet).

Sounds like a more compact and capable setup.

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - @mundsen - 05-02-2018 07:16 AM

(05-01-2018 10:59 AM)Vaygr Wrote:  
(05-01-2018 10:30 AM)JJrobots JP Wrote:  We will integrate the IMU into the PCB (no need for the i2c cable anymore). We are planning to use the MPU capabilities for more purposes like start or stop the robots just knocking on the table where it stands or to create a small drone just using 4 small dc motors. There will be an i2c bus as well for external sensor as a LIDAR

- The M0 processor
- 2 i2c buses
- ESP Wifi module
among other features

Nice changes and improvements! Have you also considered upgrading the ESP module from ESP-12E to ESP-12F?

Hi,
Is the M0 integrated on the board (no need for an Arduino M0 board like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMD21-M0-32-bit-ARM-Cortex-M0-Core-Compatible-Arduino-Zero-Arduino-M0-/302401159523 ) ?

If so I guess it`s not a new shield, but a new brain?

something like this may be an idea if vibrations is a problem?

[attachment=302]
M3 Rubber mounts

[attachment=303]
For installation in the PCB (brain) mounting holes (many flight controllers use it)

[attachment=304]
Nema vibration mounts

One more :-) is it going to support OPENMV camera compatible like the new Blimpduino 2?

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - Vaygr - 05-09-2018 08:38 PM

The M0 board has been retired on the official Arduino.cc website. Instead, it's been replaced by the M0 Pro https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-m0-pro which adds a debugger. I wonder if the new Brain Shield will have a debugger included?

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - JJrobots JP - 05-11-2018 10:01 AM

(05-02-2018 07:16 AM)@mundsen Wrote:  
(05-01-2018 10:59 AM)Vaygr Wrote:  

- The M0 processor
- 2 i2c buses
- ESP Wifi module
among other features

Hi,
Is the M0 integrated on the board (no need for an Arduino M0 board like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMD21-M0-32-bit-ARM-Cortex-M0-Core-Compatible-Arduino-Zero-Arduino-M0-/302401159523 ) ?

If so I guess it`s not a new shield, but a new brain?

something like this may be an idea if vibrations is a problem?

M3 Rubber mounts

For installation in the PCB (brain) mounting holes (many flight controllers use it)

Nema vibration mounts

One more :-) is it going to support OPENMV camera compatible like the new Blimpduino 2?

Well, you are right. the M0 will be integrated so there will not be a need of and external Arduino. It will be an Arduino by itself, not a shield.

Thanks for the idea of the M3 Rubber mounts, we will take a look at them (get some to play with) :-)

Yes, there will be support for OPENMV cameras, Actually, there is a connector on the blimpduino PCB to connect the camera

RE: New Brain Shield with integrated IMU? - JJrobots JP - 05-11-2018 10:06 AM

(05-09-2018 08:38 PM)Vaygr Wrote:  The M0 board has been retired on the official Arduino.cc website. Instead, it's been replaced by the M0 Pro https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-m0-pro which adds a debugger. I wonder if the new Brain Shield will have a debugger included?
We will include (pre-program) the official Arduino firmware in the M0 so you can use the Arduino IDE to upload/code the new Brain without problems. The Atmel Studio debugger can be used right now