JJRobots COMMUNITY
Troubleshooting please help - Printable Version

+- JJRobots COMMUNITY (http://forums.jjrobots.com)
+-- Forum: JJrobots (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: B-Robot (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Troubleshooting please help (/thread-1390.html)

Troubleshooting please help - Jimwig - 10-08-2017 07:42 PM

So this is my first attempt at anything robotic.. so please consider that. I've assembled the robot, and may have a myriad of problems.

When I switch on the Brobot, the IMU seems to syn up, I get the shaky wheels and servo movement, but the robot will not balance, and the wheels will spins and make a lot of noise. Initially I thought I may have the steppers connected wrong to the shield and drivers, (and that still be the case). I'm using a Nema 17HS4401 for the steppers.

I believe I have them wired correct, but I'm not 100% sure (Attached images). But the biggest question I have is how to debug the IMU/arduino.

I've read the info on these forums, and on the Jjrobots.com assembly guide, and I understand how to change the debug value, but then what? Do I assemble the robot and turn it on again? OR do I connect it to the Aurduino app and run the Code? Then where do i get the information from the debug? Is it through the Aurduino IDE? is it saved as a log file in a directory in my Arduino folders?

I really appreciate any help, I would really like to be successful with this robot..and learn a thing or two especially about debugging!!

Thanks in advance

Jimwig

RE: Troubleshooting please help - JohnQ - 10-08-2017 10:07 PM

To debug the robot:
Connect the USB cable to the Robot and upload the new code (remember to select the ARDUINO LEONARDO as BOARD, and the correct COM PORT in the ARDUINO IDE), after uploading properly the code, click on the SERIAL MONITOR ("magnifying glass" icon, upper right on the Arduino IDE window) and see what the robot sends to the computer. If the IMU is working, it should be sending the values of the angle continuosly.
Alternative:
Connect the B-robot to the jjrobots Control APP ( I do not have the link here, but it is easy to find in Google Play). Then, start the robot and see if the TILT line (upper side of the B.robot control layout) moves when you tilt the robot. That means that the IMU is working and the problem is related with the motors :-\

I hope this helps!

RE: Troubleshooting please help - Jimwig - 10-09-2017 11:58 PM

(10-08-2017 10:07 PM)JohnQ Wrote:  To debug the robot:
Connect the USB cable to the Robot and upload the new code (remember to select the ARDUINO LEONARDO as BOARD, and the correct COM PORT in the ARDUINO IDE), after uploading properly the code, click on the SERIAL MONITOR ("magnifying glass" icon, upper right on the Arduino IDE window) and see what the robot sends to the computer. If the IMU is working, it should be sending the values of the angle continuosly.
Alternative:
Connect the B-robot to the jjrobots Control APP ( I do not have the link here, but it is easy to find in Google Play). Then, start the robot and see if the TILT line (upper side of the B.robot control layout) moves when you tilt the robot. That means that the IMU is working and the problem is related with the motors :-\

I hope this helps!

Thanks.. Short on time this week to debug, but I will follow your advice and let you know the outcome. I appreciate this greatly

JW

RE: Troubleshooting please help - jjrobots23153 - 10-13-2017 01:59 AM

(10-09-2017 11:58 PM)Jimwig Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 10:07 PM)JohnQ Wrote:  To debug the robot:
Alternative:

I hope this helps!

Thanks.. Short on time this week to debug, but I will follow your advice and let you know the outcome. I appreciate this greatly

JW

I have my plugs on the board reversed from what you have. The wires from the right motor, looking at the plug side, goes to motor 1 and the red wire is facing away from you. You have the blue wire facing away from you. If the wires are reversed or in the wrong motor slot it will not stand up. Angry

My robot doesn't always stand up on the first try. The motors will make a noise also. Try a few times.