JJRobots COMMUNITY

Full Version: Android Control not working [SOLVED kinda..]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I assembled the drone accoring to the tutorial.
I installed the Blimpduino 2 Android App from the appstore.
After connecting to the Wifi i get data in the top left corner
B:39 A:-035 T:-035 H:2452
So.. the network seems to be OK

But when i touch the controls nothing happens.
I connected the drone to my Arduino and flashed the latest github version of the firmware.

I get some output on the serial terminal like:
Batt:40 Yaw:+009 SetP:+009 LIDAR:0603 M0:+000 M1:+000 M2:+000 CH5:00 Mode:100

But nothing when i touch the controls on the App.
What is wrong here? Huh

Thank you for any hints
-Flo
(01-14-2019 10:48 AM)overflo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I assembled the drone accoring to the tutorial.
I installed the Blimpduino 2 Android App from the appstore.
After connecting to the Wifi i get data in the top left corner
B:39 A:-035 T:-035 H:2452
So.. the network seems to be OK

But when i touch the controls nothing happens.
I connected the drone to my Arduino and flashed the latest github version of the firmware.

I get some output on the serial terminal like:
Batt:40 Yaw:+009 SetP:+009 LIDAR:0603 M0:+000 M1:+000 M2:+000 CH5:00 Mode:100

But nothing when i touch the controls on the App.
What is wrong here? Huh

Thank you for any hints
-Flo
Hi Flo
The blimpduino control board looks to be fine as it is sending the telemetry back to the smartphone. What Android OS version are you using?
Quote:The blimpduino control board looks to be fine as it is sending the telemetry back to the smartphone. What Android OS version are you using?

Android 7.1.2

I enabled DEBUG in the firmware and used the commands found in testing.ino to activate all motors in all directions.
This works.

So it has to be either a bug with the network receiver (esp8266) or a bug in the network transmitter (Android).
Is there testing software available to craft udp packets on a laptop for testing to verify the ESP/Arduino part?

I could make a quick hack in python if there is nothing available yet.
It might be nice to have a desktop remote controller..

Please tell me what to try next.
So i played a little more with the device today.

When i connect my Laptop to the Blimps wifi i get the IP 192.168.4.2 and receive data on UDP port 2223 as expected.

overflo@Fruchtzwerg:~/test_python$ nc -l -u 2223
B:36 A:+000 T:+000 H:2466
B:36 A:+000 T:+000 H:2468
B:36 A:+000 T:+000 H:2470
B:36 A:+000 T:+000 H:2462
B:36 A:+000 T:+000 H:2335
B:36 A:+000 T:+000 H:2457

I hacked a little python script to send some data to the blimp (attached).
Looking at the java code for the android app helped to understand the packet format a little.

As soon as i executed this it turned on all 3 motors to full speed and the fragile device jumped off my desk right to the floor and crashed badly.
i hurt my hands trying to catch it and one of the red rotors broke (the one without a label connected to MOT 0)

So the problem is that the android app does not send out UDP packets or at least they don't arrive a the blimp.
I will try to setup a test wifi and connect the android phone to it.
Than i will assign my laptop the ip 192.168.4.1 and see if i receive data from android.

I doubt it.
So how now?! Any further ideas in this forum from the creators?

I think i spent enough time trying to debunk this DIY kit, further help would be appreciated at this point.

Also i need new rotors.. Who should i contact to get new rotors?

https://www.jjrobots.com/product/blimpduino2-0/ states:
Python code to control it available (thoroughly commented)

Where can i find this?
Blimpduino control protocol info here: https://www.jjrobots.com/blimpduino-comm...l-package/
You can find the control APP code here (java): https://github.com/mRoboticsIO/Blimpduin...mpduino_v1

It looks like your Android device (as you has indicated) is not capable to send the control commands to the Blimpduino. This is strange as the telemetry is sent back to the smartphone.
Which Android OS version are you using? Are you using any port blocker like and antivirus/firewall or "security APP"? Do you have access to any other Android or iOS smartphone/ tablet you can use?

Contact us at: info@jjrobots.com for a replacement set of motors
Hi
we have the same problem here.

we've bought 2 blimpduino and built them. Now we have problems with wifi connection.
One board does not connect to my phone. It does connect to another phone though.
The second board sends sensors values, meaning the connection is OK but motors do not "obey" , they are always ON at full speed
Could you please help us ?
Which android version(s) have been tested and fully working ?
(02-01-2019 06:52 AM)Ariane98 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
we have the same problem here.

we've bought 2 blimpduino and built them. Now we have problems with wifi connection.
One board does not connect to my phone. It does connect to another phone though.
The second board sends sensors values, meaning the connection is OK but motors do not "obey" , they are always ON at full speed
Could you please help us ?
Which android version(s) have been tested and fully working ?

Could you re-upload the latest Arduino code as indicated here? https://www.jjrobots.com/blimpduino-assembly-guide/ (I can not see the WIFI network created by the blimpduino or I want to upload again the Blimpduino CODE SECTION)

We have tested the blimpduino control APP for Android 6 to 9 and they worked. But there is something the old OS do: ask to keep the wifi connection open even when it does not provide internet connection.
You will have to tell the Android system to stay connected otherwise it will not work properly.
Oh my guys..
I just started the webserver development for ESP yersterday.
I told my good friend metachris about this today.
He happens to be an android wizard.

We saw that the source in the GITHUB is not the same thing you get from the google playstore.
So he forked it and we debugged it and found a bug in .iState variable never becoming 1 on some devices.
Probably due a racecondition in inputhandling.

Anyway.
The Problem is fixed, a commit is in the github, a pullrequest from metachris was sent.
Apply the patch and you have an android app that should work on all devices (we only tested 2)

Please checkout the Pullrequest found here:
https://github.com/mRoboticsIO/Blimpduino2/pull/2

This should fix the bug.

Then chris did some cleanup in the project on another pullrequest here:
https://github.com/mRoboticsIO/Blimpduino2/pull/3

All the best :*
-flo & chris
(02-01-2019 09:43 PM)overflo Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my guys..
I just started the webserver development for ESP yersterday.
I told my good friend metachris about this today.
He happens to be an android wizard.

We saw that the source in the GITHUB is not the same thing you get from the google playstore.
So he forked it and we debugged it and found a bug in .iState variable never becoming 1 on some devices.
Probably due a racecondition in inputhandling.

Anyway.
The Problem is fixed, a commit is in the github, a pullrequest from metachris was sent.
Apply the patch and you have an android app that should work on all devices (we only tested 2)

Please checkout the Pullrequest found here:
https://github.com/mRoboticsIO/Blimpduino2/pull/2

This should fix the bug.

Then chris did some cleanup in the project on another pullrequest here:
https://github.com/mRoboticsIO/Blimpduino2/pull/3

All the best :*
-flo & chris

Hey! We are taking a look at this. Thanks for the heads up!
(02-01-2019 09:43 PM)overflo Wrote: [ -> ]..The Problem is fixed,

Actually i mounted my blipduino to a balloon for the first time today and i had connectivity problems again with the "fixed" app.

I had to completely remove the WLAN and add it again on the android and than the connection worked.
I have no idea what this could mean, but both the android and the arduino code might need a rewrite or major cleanup one day.
For example the IP is hardcoded in the android app and some things that can throw exceptions are not handled.

--

But i worked on the webinterface yesterday night, and i am confident i will have it up and running this week.
Once i am back at home i can flash the ESP with the webserver and then we don't need an app anymore.
But his will be another thread.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's