JJRobots COMMUNITY

Full Version: software not working on mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

If i download the version of inkscape that is recommended the eggbot .dmg file won't install.

It will install with the old version of inkscape (0.48?) but inkscape 0.48 won't run on the mac.

any hints?
Hi. Have now managed to navigate past that issue... needed a very specific version of 0.48 (0.48.5 i think....).

Now, when running inkscape and the eggbot control get the message

Inkscape has received additional data from the script executed. The script did not return an error, but this may indicate the results are not as expected.

python:VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION environment variable error(ignored). The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by index.py and therefor this extension. Please download and inasll the latest version (etc etc) ...

Help?

and worth mentioning I replaced with the amended egg_bot.py file - although have no idea whether that makes a difference to this issue..

Colin
Hi,

I have successfully loaded and have running Inkscape .91 and EggBot 2.7.1 on my Mac. I had to make the following change to the ebb_serial.py code for the Sphere-o-bot to be recognized.

if comports:
comPortsList = list(comports())
EBBport = None
for port in comPortsList:
if port[1].startswith("Arduino Leonardo"): //<<<--- Change made here.
EBBport = port[0] #Success; EBB found by name match.
break #stop searching-- we are done.
if EBBport is None:
if port[2].startswith("USB VID:PID=04D8:FD92"):
EBBport = port[0] #Success; EBB found by VID/PID match.
return EBBport

Regards,

Wayne

PS: I was unable to load on the Mac the version of EggBot (2.4) suggested by the documentation.
(04-20-2018 05:32 PM)WayneG Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I have successfully loaded and have running Inkscape .91 and EggBot 2.7.1 on my Mac. I had to make the following change to the ebb_serial.py code for the Sphere-o-bot to be recognized.

if comports:
EBBport = None
if EBBport is None:
return EBBport

Regards,

Wayne

PS: I was unable to load on the Mac the version of EggBot (2.4) suggested by the documentation.

Thank you for this! Do you mind if we link this post to a updated assembly guide for MAC users? What Mac OS are you currently using?
(04-23-2018 05:19 PM)JJrobots JP Wrote: [ -> ]

if comports:
EBBport = None
if EBBport is None:
return EBBport

Regards,

Wayne

Thank you for this! Do you mind if we link this post to a updated assembly guide for MAC users? What Mac OS are you currently using?

No I don't mind you making the link.

I am using Mac OS High Sierra (10.13).
(04-26-2018 04:06 PM)WayneG Wrote: [ -> ]

if comports:
EBBport = None
if EBBport is None:
return EBBport

Regards,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Would you please confirm where do you find the file “ebb_serial.py” on the Mac ??
I am using a MacBook Pro running OS Mojave 10.14.1 to connect to the sphere-o-bot.
I looked everywhere for this file “ebb_serial.py” on my Mac folders and inside the Sphere-o-Bot code “Ejjduion_Arduino”.

Is your Eggbot working with Inkscape 0.91 and Eggbot Control extension 2.7.1 ??

Thank you
(04-07-2019 05:12 AM)Majdi Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2018 04:06 PM)WayneG Wrote: [ -> ]

if comports:
EBBport = None
if EBBport is None:
return EBBport

Regards,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Would you please confirm where do you find the file “ebb_serial.py” on the Mac ??
I am using a MacBook Pro running OS Mojave 10.14.1 to connect to the sphere-o-bot.
I looked everywhere for this file “ebb_serial.py” on my Mac folders and inside the Sphere-o-Bot code “Ejjduion_Arduino”.

Is your Eggbot working with Inkscape 0.91 and Eggbot Control extension 2.7.1 ??

Thank you

I tried this alteration, but Eggbot extension is still returning an error message in inkscape.

Did you replace the eggbot.py file?
Hey all, I was having the same issue following the directions to use Eggbot extensions 2.4.0 and the dmg not installing. My env:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Inkscape 0.91
XQuartz 2.7.11
Eggbot Extensions 2.7.1

Following the advice from WayneG, I edited the file ebb_serial.py. You can find this file in: /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/ebb_serial.py Easiest way is to go through Terminal to open that path but you can also go through Finder - Right-click Inkscape and choose Show Package Contents.

All you have to do is update line 49 to "Arduino Leonardo" in the if statement:

Code:
if port[1].startswith("EiBotBoard"):
To:
Code:
if port[1].startswith("Arduino Leonardo"):

Save the file and relaunch Inkscape.

Everything worked for me after this point so hopefully it work for others.
(04-08-2019 07:12 PM)serin_i Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, I was having the same issue following the directions to use Eggbot extensions 2.4.0 and the dmg not installing. My env:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Inkscape 0.91
XQuartz 2.7.11
Eggbot Extensions 2.7.1

Following the advice from WayneG, I edited the file ebb_serial.py. You can find this file in: /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/ebb_serial.py Easiest way is to go through Terminal to open that path but you can also go through Finder - Right-click Inkscape and choose Show Package Contents.

All you have to do is update line 49 to "Arduino Leonardo" in the if statement:

Code:
if port[1].startswith("EiBotBoard"):
To:
Code:
if port[1].startswith("Arduino Leonardo"):

Save the file and relaunch Inkscape.

Everything worked for me after this point so hopefully it work for others.

Hi Serin,

Thank you very much for your assistance. Your advice was just on point.

I followed your suggestions above, and finally I have a working Eggbot that talks to my MacBook Pro. Finding the file ebb_serial.py in Mac OS was a challenge.

All I need to do now is to caliberate the Eggbot motors and servo. If you have any suggestions in this regard from your experience working on it, please let me know.

I hope that other Mac users will find your instructions helpful. Hurray .. Smile

Thanks again.
(04-09-2019 04:58 PM)Majdi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Serin,

Thank you very much for your assistance. Your advice was just on point.

I followed your suggestions above, and finally I have a working Eggbot that talks to my MacBook Pro. Finding the file ebb_serial.py in Mac OS was a challenge.

All I need to do now is to caliberate the Eggbot motors and servo. If you have any suggestions in this regard from your experience working on it, please let me know.

I hope that other Mac users will find your instructions helpful. Hurray .. Smile

Thanks again.

Ha yes, calibration is the next challenge! Getting the egg centered so it rotates around evenly is important but what I found to be the most important thing was the pen arm adjustment. It's hard to explain in text but I'll try: the part of the pen arm that connects/fits over the servo post needs to be pushed further down on the post or pulled up off of the post slightly so that the pen in the down position is (mostly) straight up and down. Before I did this, the drawings were kinda messed up on the egg but after they are looking pretty good! I think the guide explains this but I think it took me longer to figure out without the aid of a picture showing what is required.
Reference URL's